none
SharePoint Online - list view threshold RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, guys,

I am trying to create new document set or folder in SharePoint online library. In the library there are 20,000 records. When i try to add new docoument set or folder i am getting the following message:

"The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator."

With following code:

ListItemCreationInformation info = new    ListItemCreationInformation();
                info.UnderlyingObjectType = FileSystemObjectType.Folder;
                info.LeafName = folderName.Trim();
                ListItem newItem = documentLibrary.AddItem(info);
                newItem["Title"] = folderName;
                newItem.Update();
                web.Context.ExecuteQuery();
    What is super strange is that the folder is actualy created. Is there any other way to create new item in SharePoint Online list without getting this exception?

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:04 AM

Answers

• here is only one way to deal with this at the moment: Delete items until it is below the 5k limit.

It's ridiculous but at the moment O365 can't manage 'living' large lists. Any operation that affects all items such as adding columns will hit the lookup threshold and bomb out, it can't be increased, worked around or extended.

It's the single weakest bit of O365 for me at the moment.

Maybe you can create another list.

Kind regards

Giuliano De Luca - MCSD SharePoint, MCSD Web Applications, MCPS, MS. www.delucagiuliano.com Twitter: @giuleon

Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:36 AM

All replies

• here is only one way to deal with this at the moment: Delete items until it is below the 5k limit.

It's ridiculous but at the moment O365 can't manage 'living' large lists. Any operation that affects all items such as adding columns will hit the lookup threshold and bomb out, it can't be increased, worked around or extended.

It's the single weakest bit of O365 for me at the moment.

Maybe you can create another list.

Kind regards

Giuliano De Luca - MCSD SharePoint, MCSD Web Applications, MCPS, MS. www.delucagiuliano.com Twitter: @giuleon

Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:36 AM
  • Hello,

After more tests i saw that actualy when i create folder in fat list the code throws an exception after executing the query, but the folder is still created. Then when i add new document set in that folder even tho it is big fat list i have no errors while adding and everything works just fine.

Best Regards

Friday, November 25, 2016 1:19 PM