mutiple workflow on a list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have multiple workflows running on a list, is there any way I can set the sequence of execution for those workflow?

e.g. x,y & z , I need first z to be executed the x and then y.

Please advice.

Dev
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• You could use Paul's suggestion.  There is another way I'd like to mention.  You can download & install these free workflow activities that includes a "Start another workflow" activity:

http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/

What you do is set the first workflow to start automatically.  The rest of the workflows set to start manually only.  Then at the end of the first workflow (x) add the action of "Start another workflow", tell it to start workflow Y.  Then at the end of workflow Y add the action to start another workflow and tell it to start workflow Z.

• Marked as answer by Dev_1 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:18 PM
  • You can still pause the workflows until a field in the metadata of the list item changes when using SPD 2007.  Just add the the Wait for Field Change action as the first thing to do in the second and third workflows.  That will start the workflow but pause it until the field you choose equals a specific value.  If the first workflow sets the value of the field to the required value as its last action then you know that the second workflow won't continue until the first completes.  And so on.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Chanakya Jayabalan Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dev_1 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• No, workflows all run independent of each other.  This kind of requirement is normally handled by adding a wait condition to the x and y workflows to wait for something to change in the list item.  Then have each preceding workflow make the change to the field the other workflows are waiting on.  That way all the workflows can start in any order, but the later workflows will simply wait for the earlier workflows to finish before proceeding.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:05 PM
  • You could use Paul's suggestion.  There is another way I'd like to mention.  You can download & install these free workflow activities that includes a "Start another workflow" activity:

http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/

What you do is set the first workflow to start automatically.  The rest of the workflows set to start manually only.  Then at the end of the first workflow (x) add the action of "Start another workflow", tell it to start workflow Y.  Then at the end of workflow Y add the action to start another workflow and tell it to start workflow Z.

• Marked as answer by Dev_1 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Thanks Paul, Melli

However, I don't have the luxury to use code, I'm developing the workflow using SharePoint designer.

Dev
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:43 PM
  • You can still pause the workflows until a field in the metadata of the list item changes when using SPD 2007.  Just add the the Wait for Field Change action as the first thing to do in the second and third workflows.  That will start the workflow but pause it until the field you choose equals a specific value.  If the first workflow sets the value of the field to the required value as its last action then you know that the second workflow won't continue until the first completes.  And so on.
    • Proposed as answer by Chanakya Jayabalan Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dev_1 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:44 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Paul is correct.  And neither of our solutions require you to use code.  The link I posted gets installed on your SharePoint sever for use in SharePoint Designer.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:02 PM