URL of app. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have noticed that for App, seperate DNS domain is configured. I am wondering why do we need a separate DNS domain for apps?

Default  URL of the app has [app Id] which is a unique number. We want to give some logical name instead of random number on production. So is it possible to change the URL of app.

http://[app prefix]-[app id].[domain name]/[site collection path]/[app path]/pages/default.aspx

Amit - Our life is short, so help others to grow.....

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click ♥Vote As Helpful♥ And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click ♥Mark As Answer♥

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:44 AM

Answers

• The APPUID (which looks wierd) is used by the subscription setting service to find the right app and apply security policies. So is very important.

I don't think you should try to change the APPUID from URL because then SharePoint will not resolve the app instance correctly.

You COULD create a dedicated DNS CNAME alias for the App URL.

However this will not scale because now you have a dedicated DNS entry for each and every App. (and there might be too many of them).

val it: unit=()

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• the reason why Microsoft wants you to create a separate DNS entry for app is to create a sandbox for your java script inside your app.

Microsoft wants the app to have no permission on the parent whatsoever untill and unless explicitly granted by the app manifest.

When they put the app in a separate domain, the browser prevents all calls to the parent app because URL is different and browser will not allow cross site scripting.

Thus your java script ends up being sandboxed.

Then Microsoft gives you a proxy file which is controlled by the permissions stored in app manifest. this proxy allows you to make calls only what is specified in app manifest.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:59 AM
  • it make sence.

Regarding the URL, does it possible to change the default URL? URL look weird.

http://[app prefix]-[app id].[domain name]/[site collection path]/[app path]/pages/default.aspx

Regards Amit

Amit - Our life is short, so help others to grow.....

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click ♥Vote As Helpful♥ And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click ♥Mark As Answer♥

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:45 AM
  • The APPUID (which looks wierd) is used by the subscription setting service to find the right app and apply security policies. So is very important.

I don't think you should try to change the APPUID from URL because then SharePoint will not resolve the app instance correctly.

You COULD create a dedicated DNS CNAME alias for the App URL.

However this will not scale because now you have a dedicated DNS entry for each and every App. (and there might be too many of them).

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:24 PM