My shape is inside-out :-( Any ideas? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem building a simple hourglass shape. This is what I have so far. I want to have the green fill on the inside of the shape but it is appearing on the outside. Any suggestions?
    Friday, April 4, 2008 5:33 PM

Answers

• The paths appears filled on the outside of the shape because you've created the appearance of the shape by drawing the shape's negative space. To spare you a lengthy explanation, here's how to remedy the situation:

On top of the objects that make up the hour glass, draw a rectangle the same size as all of the objects. Use Ctrl + A to select all objects on the artboard. In the Action Bar, choose Divide in the Path drop down list. Now scoot all the pieces apart until you find the filled hour glass shape. :-)

Annie
    Friday, April 4, 2008 5:55 PM

All replies

• The paths appears filled on the outside of the shape because you've created the appearance of the shape by drawing the shape's negative space. To spare you a lengthy explanation, here's how to remedy the situation:

On top of the objects that make up the hour glass, draw a rectangle the same size as all of the objects. Use Ctrl + A to select all objects on the artboard. In the Action Bar, choose Divide in the Path drop down list. Now scoot all the pieces apart until you find the filled hour glass shape. :-)

Annie
    Friday, April 4, 2008 5:55 PM
  • As Annie says or:

1 - start a new layer and lock the lower layers

2 - trace out the image using a pen tool (I much prefer the b-spline - it's a dream once gotten used to)

Vector composites are a great way to build shapes and I suppose everyone has one's own preferences?
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:51 PM
  • I find it useful to think of the object in terms of primative shapes. If you look at the hour glass then it is symetrical so you only have to build half of it and then use a copy of it for the other half. The hour glass you show is an elipse cut with another elipse. So create an elipse and then create another on top of it to get your bowed shape. Select both objects and choose divide from the path menu on the action bar. Delete the shapes you dont require and you have most of your hour glass. Add a rectangle for the middle and once again group the shapes but this time choose path and unite from the action bar. A quick Ctrl-C + Ctrl-F to duplicate it and then move the registration point to the bottom centre and then right click on the top object and choose transform reflect vertical from the context menu. Select the two shapes and unite them.

steve
    Friday, April 11, 2008 8:45 AM