none
UUID like characters in file name in SMB2 ? RRS feed

• Question

• After noticing SMB2.0 traces i have observed that the file name is suffixed by some extra characters.
    What does this refer to ?
    Eg in this trace the actual file name is F100K but the file name in the create option is
    F100K.8DFADBD4200805250031TTTFNT7TT.{10E39A49-4531-4496-A08E-842D4C440D20}

129    4.379883        192.168.11.31    192.168.12.32    SMB2    SMB2: C  CREATE (0x5), Name=F100K.8DFADBD4200805250031TTTFNT7TT.{10E39A49-4531-4496-A08E-842D4C440D20}@#129, Context=DHnQ, Context=MxAc, Context=QFid, Mid = 251

Thanks,
    Dakshina
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:19 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Dakshina,

I have been researching your question and I have not been able to reproduce the behavior you show here.

I can tell you though that this has nothing to do with SMB2. It actually looks like some process created another file in the destination file system.

It is common for Explorer to create extra files when saving pictures to a new folder (desktop.ini, thumbnail.db), I’ve seen some media programs creating files with a GUID like names to represent the covers of the albums the files belong to and, I understand that some AntiVirus programs do write extra files.

We will need more detail about your environment and the actions you take in order to be able to point you in a more precise direction.

However, as stated before, these forums are for supporting the interoperability documents and this does not look related to that.

If you want to troubleshoot this issue further, I can gladly point you in the right direction to get technical support.

Thanks for your inquiry

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Dakshina,

I'll be working on this together with your previous post (http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/os_fileservices/thread/418b08f7-0d65-446a-8ffe-7d53054b5d8f) since both questions are related to the same capture.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Sure Sebastian.Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks,
    Dakshina
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:12 AM
  •  

Hi Dakshina,

I have been researching your question and I have not been able to reproduce the behavior you show here.

I can tell you though that this has nothing to do with SMB2. It actually looks like some process created another file in the destination file system.

It is common for Explorer to create extra files when saving pictures to a new folder (desktop.ini, thumbnail.db), I’ve seen some media programs creating files with a GUID like names to represent the covers of the albums the files belong to and, I understand that some AntiVirus programs do write extra files.

We will need more detail about your environment and the actions you take in order to be able to point you in a more precise direction.

However, as stated before, these forums are for supporting the interoperability documents and this does not look related to that.

If you want to troubleshoot this issue further, I can gladly point you in the right direction to get technical support.

Thanks for your inquiry

Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Thanks Sebastian for the reply.
    --Dakshina
    Friday, September 5, 2008 11:41 AM