none
Upgrading SQL Server 2005 Enterprise to SQL Server 2008 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server 2005 Enterprise SP2 installed on a failover cluster. Initially, I wanted to install SP3 but the SP3 release notes say “You cannot install SQL Server 2005 SP3 on an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is configured to use an NTFS junction point to store SQL Server data files. ”. I do have data on NTFS Junction Points. So I’m considering upgrading directly to SQL Server 2008. So far, I haven’t seen any mention of issues regarding NTFS Junction Points or mount points. Has anyone performed this upgrade or do you know of any issues upgrading SQL Server 2005 to 2008 with database data residing on NTFS Junction Points?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Authony,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post!

Use of NTFS Junction Points Not Supported for SQL Server Data Files from SQL Server 2005 SP3 Release Notes:
    ------------------------------------
    You cannot install SQL Server 2005 SP3 on an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is configured to use an NTFS junction point to store SQL Server data files. If you configure data files of an instance of SQL Server 2005 to be stored in an NTFS junction point that is created by using the Linld.exe utility, installation of this SQL Server service pack will fail. Additionally, the NTFS junction point will be deleted after the installation. Therefore, you will be unable to start the SQL Server service after the installation. This issue occurs because Windows Installer removes the NTFS junction point during installation of the SQL Server service pack. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/1/5718A94A-3931-457B-8567-AA0995E34870/ReleaseNotesSQL2005SP3.htm#BKMK_NTFSJunction)

SQL Server support for mounted volumes
    from KB articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/819546

Hope this helps.

ChunSong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Authony,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post!

Use of NTFS Junction Points Not Supported for SQL Server Data Files from SQL Server 2005 SP3 Release Notes:
    ------------------------------------
    You cannot install SQL Server 2005 SP3 on an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is configured to use an NTFS junction point to store SQL Server data files. If you configure data files of an instance of SQL Server 2005 to be stored in an NTFS junction point that is created by using the Linld.exe utility, installation of this SQL Server service pack will fail. Additionally, the NTFS junction point will be deleted after the installation. Therefore, you will be unable to start the SQL Server service after the installation. This issue occurs because Windows Installer removes the NTFS junction point during installation of the SQL Server service pack. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/1/5718A94A-3931-457B-8567-AA0995E34870/ReleaseNotesSQL2005SP3.htm#BKMK_NTFSJunction)

SQL Server support for mounted volumes
    from KB articles:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/819546

Hope this helps.

ChunSong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Hi ChunSong,

Thank you for the reply. It's clear from the release notes the installation of SP3 will fail. What's not clear is if I can upgrade to SQL Server 2008 instead of installing SP3. Do you know if that is possible or will I have the same NTFS junction point issue upgrading to SQL Server 2008? Thank you again.

Regards,

Anthony Gangi
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:54 PM