Best-practice-SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was just curious to know best practice when developing lists/libraries/site-collections/subsites...etc ; when should visual studio be preferred ?..

or it doesn't matter if we make use of central administration/visual studio for any of these .

Previously I made use of central admin...but I need to know the best practice in case

Help appreciated

Many Thnx 

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:07 PM

Answers

• You will only need to use Central Admin to create site collections. Lists, libraries and sites can be created at the site collection/site level or using SPD. Any custom solution developed in VS can be deployed at the site collection level (if its a sandboxed solution) or Central admin (if its a farm solution). As for documentation, there's no OOTB tool that can list all customizations, so this will have to be done manually by admins/developers. You will however be able to see a list of farm solutions (in central admin), sandboxed solutions/web parts/templates/definitions etc (in site collection settings).

MCPD, MCITP, MCTS

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:46 AM

All replies

• I'm assuming you are referring to custom solutions such as Workflows, Custom List definitions, Custom web parts etc and not OOTB lists/libraries/sites.

I mainly follow this order: OOTB, SPD, VS/3rd party apps.

I'm not aware of any official best practices published by Microsoft. However, from my experience, this really comes down to each organization and their IT staff/culture. Due to various reasons (mostly cost associated), many choose to stay OOTB or simplify their customizations/development as much as possible. I have a development background so I like to code. But from my experience, a majority of organizations prefer to use VS as a last resort if they are unable to accomplish something using a method that's less "custom" as it might require more work and skills to develop, manage and even upgrade.

MCPD, MCITP, MCTS

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:13 AM
  •  Thnks for the info Manaz,

I am referring to the OOTB lists/libraries, as in our project we would definitely try to keep things simplified and less hassled. But still I wanted to know

that when creating OOTB lists/lib/sites/site collections, using central admin is the likely way to go ...right ?...its only when developing custom web-parts/custom

workflows VS 2010 comes to the rescue ..right ?. SPD 2010 suffices for workflows as well.

For the documentation purposes, we can maintain excel/word docs for lists/libraries/and other details created OR we have some tool/method available for that

purpose ? (My only worry is that since source code is not there, as we are gonna use browser/sp designer, whats recommended for documentation purpose?

Thanks a lot

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:51 AM
  • You will only need to use Central Admin to create site collections. Lists, libraries and sites can be created at the site collection/site level or using SPD. Any custom solution developed in VS can be deployed at the site collection level (if its a sandboxed solution) or Central admin (if its a farm solution). As for documentation, there's no OOTB tool that can list all customizations, so this will have to be done manually by admins/developers. You will however be able to see a list of farm solutions (in central admin), sandboxed solutions/web parts/templates/definitions etc (in site collection settings).

MCPD, MCITP, MCTS

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:46 AM
  • I have the feeling you are really looking at custom code but for the activities you describe that is not necessary. You can use SPD 2010 to create workflows. The main limitation is that you cannot move content over multiple sites. The workflow is bound to one site. You can use VS to improve that or look into a product such as Nintex.

What do you mean with this sentence:

For the documentation purposes, we can maintain excel/word docs for lists/libraries/and other details created OR we have some tool/method available for that

purpose ? 

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: @SharePTJasper

Friday, April 13, 2012 5:53 AM
  • I meant that since for creation of lists and libraries we are using browser, and for workflows we use sp designer 2010, so in order to document all the development stuff I would have to make use of word/excel to enlist all the performed development ?

How about nintex, is it a free product or licensed ?

So, what can be done if we need to use workflows to be used across sites (u mean subsites or site-collections ?)

Thanks

Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:44 PM