Space needed for web services/version control? RRS feed

• Question

• I had thought very little space was needed for the team foundation server directories, but I noticed under web services, version control it is almost 1 GB of space now.

How much space should we expect the web stuff to use?

Also if we had to move the web stuff on to the NAS on the same machine due to space, what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks.

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:25 PM

Answers

• The app tier has a cache, very similar to the proxy.  The simplest way to move the cache onto a NAS would be filesystem redirection (e.g. junction points) so that it's totally transparent to applications like TFS.  I believe you can also configure the cache dir from web.config.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  • It's a fixed size.  The bigger you set it, the better your performance will be.  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms400793(VS.80).aspx
    Friday, May 11, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• The app tier has a cache, very similar to the proxy.  The simplest way to move the cache onto a NAS would be filesystem redirection (e.g. junction points) so that it's totally transparent to applications like TFS.  I believe you can also configure the cache dir from web.config.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  •  Richard Berg MSFT wrote:
    The app tier has a cache, very similar to the proxy.  The simplest way to move the cache onto a NAS would be filesystem redirection (e.g. junction points) so that it's totally transparent to applications like TFS.  I believe you can also configure the cache dir from web.config.

I was figuring that was likely the case.  So that means you need enough space to cover the full top of your tree I guess at the very least?  More I guess if people start downloading older versions (and more over time than just the top of tree since older versions will stay cached?).

Does the cache get cleaned up?  Is there a way to clean it up?  After a period of time if it doesn't have it's own cleanup could probably free up some space that way.

Thanks
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:33 PM
  • It's a fixed size.  The bigger you set it, the better your performance will be.  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms400793(VS.80).aspx
    Friday, May 11, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Thanks that should do the trick/
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 6:08 AM