How to customize the State? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I need to add a new State to my Agile-template TFS Work. Let's say, additionally to "Resolved" state I would like to have something like "Ready for deployment" or similar.

How can I achieve that?

Thanks. 

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Renziglov,

Both work item workflow States and Kanban columns are used to track the status of work.

Do you want add a customized state “Ready for deployment” to a  work item type?

You could change the workflow of the WIT by editing the work item type definition xml file. Add <state value=”Ready for deployment”> into workflow\states elements. And add transitions related with this new state.

<TRANSITION from="**" to=" Ready for deployment "> and <TRANSITION from=" Ready for deployment " to="** ">

For more information about how to change the workflow for a work item type, please refer to this link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/reference/change-workflow-wit

If you are using TFS 2015 or earlier versions, you can change the workflow or view the workflow state diagram that you are defining by using the Process Editor in Visual Studio Tools tab. You install it from Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2015 Power Tools.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Hi there

Yes, I saw that XML modification examples many times but where it resides? The Power Tools WIT browser has "View XML" screen and shows all its content, but it is read-only.

Is that XML BLOB in a specific DB table or just a file in the server's file system?

Thanks.

Friday, March 10, 2017 7:56 PM
  • Hi Renziglov,

If you want to change xml content directly, you could use witadmin commands to export WIT definition xml files, modify them, then import them to the TFS server. Please refer to this link: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/reference/witadmin/witadmin-import-export-manage-wits#export-the-definition-of-a-wit

The Power Tool is an UI tool to change xml file.You could open a wit definition xml file then New, edit, delete a field in the page, then the xml will change.

And you could change the workflow by dragging State, Transition Link controls from Toolbox.

Double chick the State and Transition node in the graph, you could add your own rules to them. Every operation will make a change to the xml file. Then you could view the xml to check whether it meet your requirement. 

Best Regards 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:54 AM