none
what application should i install in the client computer to rum my app that connect to sql server RRS feed

• Question

• if my app is using sql server as database

what sql server app should i install in the client pc so my program work properly

i mean i am not going to install sql server complete in the clients pc right

i am sure there r a runtime sql server client app for that like microsoft access data engine or something

am i right

if so i would like the name of this app and if possible a link to it

thanks

I am A Medical Doctor

Sunday, October 14, 2018 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are running on your development machine SQL-Server Express then this needs to be installed on the client's computer. For instance if using SQL-Server 2017 then they need this. Where "this" in this case is SQL-Server Express 2017. There are installs for other versions etc.

The SQL-Server connection string for SQL-Server Express will look like .\SQLEXPRESS or MachineName\SQLEXPRESS etc. where MachineName is the name of your computer.

Now let's say you have a full version of SQL-Server rather than SQL-Server Express, this means you need to adjust the connection string (see the following for more on SQL-Server connection strings).

Setting the connection string is dependent on how you work with data e.g. TableAdapter, DataAdapter, Entity Framework or SqlClient managed data provider.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, October 14, 2018 4:56 PM
  • so there are no lighter version for the client?like like microsoft access data engine for access database

what about if i am using the full version then?will i need to install the full version too to the client?

I am A Medical Doctor

Sunday, October 14, 2018 5:31 PM
  • so there are no lighter version for the client?like like microsoft access data engine for access database

what about if i am using the full version then?will i need to install the full version too to the client?

I am A Medical Doctor

There is no light version (I would had mentioned this in my initial reply if there was a light version).

In my initial reply I said

Now let's say you have a full version of SQL-Server rather than SQL-Server Express, this means you need to adjust the connection string (see the following for more on SQL-Server connection strings).

Adding to that, if they don't have SQL-Server Express it needs to be installed.

Aternates https://www.sqlite.org/index.html were this is not Microsoft and the majority of code samples are C# and it has much less features then SQL-Server.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Sunday, October 14, 2018 5:41 PM

I am A Medical Doctor

You could just use SQLite out the gate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1210189/Using-SQLite-in-Csharp-VB-Net

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:11 AM