Coded UI execution RRS feed

• Question

• I have application developed in vs 2015 and vs 2017. What is the best way to execute this on machine where Visual Studio has not installed. Is it mandatory to install Test agent or there is another way to execute it?
    • Moved by CoolDadTx Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:59 PM Testing related
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 11:48 AM

All replies

• You certainly don't need to have Visual Studio installed to run an application developed in Visual Studio. VS is just the IDE, the Integrated Development Environment. What you need to do to deploy your app depends on the kind of application you want to launch. 

If it's a simple commandline app, it can run on any platform that .NET Core targets and on any system that has .NET Core installed. You just need to copy and paste the '.exe'-file from your build directory (the bin or debug folder in your Solution Explorer) to a directory where you have the required privileges to launch applications. There you can launch it by double-clicking the .exe-file or by calling it on the commandline.

If your app is something different (Winform or WPF, etc.) you need to install/publish the application. If you're using a VS Express version you might consider deploying your app as a ClickOnce application (see also 'Choosing a ClickOnce Deployment Strategy').

wizend

• Edited by Wizend Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:36 PM
  • You should learn how to deploy your solution to any machine using an installer. VS has functionality to allow you to make an installer for your VS solution so that you can installed your .NET solution on a machine, use Bing or Google to find articles.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:12 PM
  • Hi wizend,

My question was regarding to installation of Test Agent not Visual Studio, Now I am implementing it using Test Agent, But my question is how can I install Test Agent without license copy of visual studio.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hello Swapnil,

>>But my question is how can I install Test Agent without license copy of visual studio.

Download one of the Agents for Visual Studio with different version as below and install the Test Agent on the server:

Visual Studio 2017 (127MB disk space, less than that for download)
    Visual Studio 2015 (128MB setup, 2GB disk space required)
    Visual Studio 2012 (224MB)
    Visual Studio 2013 (287MB)
    Visual Studio 2010 (515MB)

And for more info with Test Agent you could refer MSDN document.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd695837.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Neil Hu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:03 AM