none
Windows 8 Automatically Create Date Folders within Applications RRS feed

• Question

• I don't think this is the correct place to ask this question, since I am not trying to develop or program (code) anything. I originally posted this question in the Microsoft Community forum. Someone replied saying that I should try to post the question here. So below is my question that I asked.

I have Windows 8 and I was wondering if there was some way to create folders through applications using the current date.

For example some applications have a settings option that allows you to define the default save path when working on a project, for that specific application. Let’s say that within the application I have the default path to be“C:\Program Files\Application\Saved Projects”.

What I would like to do is have it automatically create a new folder under the Saved Projects folder with the current date. All projects will automatically get saved here. If I am working on more than one project that day it will just keep adding to that same folder. Once the next day comes it will then check to see if the current date folder is out there and if it isn’t it will create a new one for the day and save the projects there.

I tried something like this for a path “C:\Program Files\Application\Saved Projects\%Date%”, but that didn’t work, it just created a folder called %Date%. I thought within windows there was something I could put at the end of the path to automatically do this but I can’t seem to figure it out.

One of the applications that I am working with is Camtasia Studio. Under the settings menu I specify the path on where to save the projects. The projects just get dumped in that folder, but I would like to somehow create a new sub-folder with the date (when I click save) and dump projects in that folder. I should also note, that I know I can update the path each time I work with the program, if the folder isn't there it will create the folder for me. I would just like it to be automatic so I don't have to update the path each time I use it on a different day, or forget to update it.

So is there some kind of wildcard that I can put at the end of the path name that Windows will recognize as the system date for each day?

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:32 PM