none
What is the customui schema/xml namespace for Office 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• A few similar questions (mostly in the now locked Office 2013 preview forum) but perhaps this is best forum to ask.

What is the customui schema/xml namespace for Office 2013 (in order to customize the ribbon)?

For Office 2010, it is <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">, For Office 2007, it is <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">.

The Office 2013 is nowhere to be seen on the Internet as far as I can see (search?), even though it has now been released.

If somebody has the proper release of Office 2013, my undertsanding is that they can go to customize the ribbon in Word/Excel etc, make a customization, export it and then examine the exported file (e.g. file 'Word Customizations.exportedUI' from Word) and that will show it.

In the Office 2013 preview, it just exported as Office 2010 <mso:customUI xmlns:mso="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">. I assume if somebody with the released Office did that now, they could tell us the new Office 2013 customui?

Thanks for any help on this.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 10:29 PM

Answers

• Hi JFK

I hope Quist Zhang will report back if there has been a change, but I believe there has not.

Word 2010 required a new namespace because new functionality was added: ContextMenus and Backstage. But as nothing in the way of functionality (the underlying schema) has changed, I don't think a new namespace is required for Word 2013. The only thing that's different are some of the attribute values Word itself works with (names of ControlIDs). Since these aren't part of the schema, no new namespace is required.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi JFK

I think the only way you're going to be able to to that is to use callbacks for choosing the image to use. In the code for the callback you can query Application.Version to discover which version of Word is running and load the appropriate image file.

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Hi JFK555,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Currently, Microsoft have published Microsoft Office Document: [MS-CUSTOMUI2] Supporting Documentation. The document made a comparison between Office 2010 controls and Office 2013 controls. You'll be able to refer each control by it's idMso and see whether it's exist in Office 2013 or not.

The document are in txt format, you can paste them into Excel so that they will be shown regularly.

I'll reply to you, if there's any update upon Office 2013 schema/xml namespace.

Hope it helps.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 4, 2013 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi JFK555,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Currently, Microsoft have published Microsoft Office Document: [MS-CUSTOMUI2] Supporting Documentation. The document made a comparison between Office 2010 controls and Office 2013 controls. You'll be able to refer each control by it's idMso and see whether it's exist in Office 2013 or not.

The document are in txt format, you can paste them into Excel so that they will be shown regularly.

I'll reply to you, if there's any update upon Office 2013 schema/xml namespace.

Hope it helps.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 4, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Hi JFK

I hope Quist Zhang will report back if there has been a change, but I believe there has not.

Word 2010 required a new namespace because new functionality was added: ContextMenus and Backstage. But as nothing in the way of functionality (the underlying schema) has changed, I don't think a new namespace is required for Word 2013. The only thing that's different are some of the attribute values Word itself works with (names of ControlIDs). Since these aren't part of the schema, no new namespace is required.

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.

In my particular case, I add icons to a dotm template which customizes the ribbon and has custom icons and so I wanted to show new, flat style icons in the Word 2013 version. Stuff like blue tinted 3D shading on document icons has now gone.

So it would be good to have a way to distinguish Office 2013 and 2010 when custmizing the ribbon. Looks better, even if functionality isn't affected.

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:04 AM
  • Hi JFK

I think the only way you're going to be able to to that is to use callbacks for choosing the image to use. In the code for the callback you can query Application.Version to discover which version of Word is running and load the appropriate image file.

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Thank you. In my particular case, yes, that will work so very useful.

I had a search and examples at http://www.rondebruin.nl/getimage.htm have pretty much all that I need to know for this so as to be able to load external png images into the ribbon via VBA. Also good to see that their code is 64 bit Office compatible.

Monday, February 4, 2013 12:44 PM
  • <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:54 AM
  • How about MICROSOFT maintaining their DEAD LINKS -  FFS  !!!!

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 5:12 AM