none
Rebuild a Parallel port driver for windows 64 bits. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm new in windows driver development.

My object was to rewrite a new parallel port driver, and had a new parport.sys file. I have modified the source code of parallel port driver for windows x32. I have modified the parport.c file. This file is written in c kernel. I have got this file form WinDDK (3790.1830) examples folder.

It’s in folder named c:\WINDDK\3790.1830\src\kernel\parport.

I’m working in Windows 7 x64. I have used for building this driver WinDDK (3790.1830). I have built this driver in DOS.

I have used to build these command lines:

C:\WINDDK\3790.1830\bin\setenv.bat  C:\WINDDK\3790.1830 chk wxp

cd /d C:\WinDDK\3790.1830\src\kernel\parport

and

build

I had a good file system (parport.sys). It works in windows XP x32 bits and in windows 7 x32 bits without any problem.   I have rebuilt this driver for windows XP x64 and windows 7 x64. I have used WinDDK (3790.1830) too.

I have used to build these command lines:

C:\WINDDK\3790.1830\bin\setenv.bat  C:\WINDDK\3790.1830 chk 64

cd /d C:\WinDDK\3790.1830\src\kernel\parport

and

build

I had a new parport.sys, but it doesn’t work in x64 environment Windows XP or Windows 7.   I have used the new version of WinDDK (7600.16385.1), but I have had the same result, windows XP x64 or windows 7 x64 didn't accept this driver.

Now I’m looking for a method to rebuild this driver for windows x64.

Could someone help me to rebuild this driver for windows 64 bits please?

I would like to know too:

Do I have to modify the source code to compile the driver with Windows 64 compiler?

Thank you and have a very nice day.

Monday, March 9, 2015 7:31 AM

Answers

• I went back and checked the documentation for the old DDK.  You are specifying building for Itanium, you want AMD64 not 64 for that parameter.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:20 PM

All replies

• When you say they don't accept the driver, what is the failure?  Is this a compile time error?  An error on loading?  Or a failure when the driver starts?  If it is an error compiling give us the build output, an error loading enable setup API logging and give us the log output, an error once it starts fire off Windbg and start debugging.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Monday, March 9, 2015 10:38 AM
  • did you sign it? Did you enable test signing on the machine under test?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:52 PM
  • When you say they don't accept the driver, what is the failure?  Is this a compile time error?  An error on loading?  Or a failure when the driver starts?  If it is an error compiling give us the build output, an error loading enable setup API logging and give us the log output, an error once it starts fire off Windbg and start debugging.

Hi,

Windows doesn’t load this driver; it says that driver isn’t compatible with windows 64 bits. 

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:15 PM
  • did you sign it? Did you enable test signing on the machine under test?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi,

I don’t know how I can sign a driver, but:

For windows XP 32 and windows 7 32 bits, I’ve created the inf file via (geninf.exe) tool. I found it in old version of Winddk (3790.1830), and I have loaded the driver per the inf file.

For windows XP and 7 64 bits, I’ve used the same tool (geninf.exe) to create the inf file and I’ve used this inf file to load the driver but windows doesn’t load this driver.

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:16 PM
  • I went back and checked the documentation for the old DDK.  You are specifying building for Itanium, you want AMD64 not 64 for that parameter.

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:20 PM