Using custom fonts on windows mobile devices RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

We are developing an winforms application for win mobile devices. We need to target win mobile smart phones 5.0 and 2003, also win mobile ppc 2003 and 5.0.

What we should do if we want our own custom fonts for the application. can we use and install a particular true type font  on all of the devices above?

second option is going for our own bitmap fontstrings but in that case how can we use them in managed application where controls like textboxes,listviews does not support these fonts 

we are developing managed application with c#., and as much as possible want to leverage on rich controls provided by .net., Only hurdle here is fonts, please suggest us suitable solution urgently.

thenks in advance

Rashmi

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Rashmi

Yes, you can install and use your own TrueType font in a .NET CF 2.0 application. Just copy the .TTF files to the Windows directory on the device and do a soft reset. You'll have to install the fonts on the desktop PC as well.

This should work for all devices.

To select your 'special' font, tick the 'show all fonts' checkbox in the Font selection dialog. You should now be able to use this font. Any .NET control that has a Font property should be able to work with your font.

Hope this helps
    Michael

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:47 PM
  • Yes, you can have versions v1 and v2 of the .NET Compact Framework installed side-by-side.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:41 AM
  • No, .NET CF 2.0 is not available on all platforms you want to support.

.NET CF 2.0 is available on Windows Mobile 5.0 (Pocket PC and Smartphone) and Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC.
    The Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone do only support .NET CF 1.0.

As Sergey said, side by side is possible.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:36 AM
  • Hi Rashmi

Yes, they do.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:17 PM
  • This is just a 'file' that is copied to the \Windows directory.
    There should be no problems - provided that you do perform a 'soft reset' after installation.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:41 PM
  • Hi

Yes there is: create a optional setup dll (see http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/setupdll.html).
    Within 'Install_Exit' do a soft reset as described here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=260092&SiteID=1

Michael

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Rashmi

Yes, you can install and use your own TrueType font in a .NET CF 2.0 application. Just copy the .TTF files to the Windows directory on the device and do a soft reset. You'll have to install the fonts on the desktop PC as well.

This should work for all devices.

To select your 'special' font, tick the 'show all fonts' checkbox in the Font selection dialog. You should now be able to use this font. Any .NET control that has a Font property should be able to work with your font.

Hope this helps
    Michael

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:47 PM
  • thanks for reply Michael,

one doubt here, all win mobile devices in market today supports NET CF 2.0? is it true? what about windows mobile 2003 smartphone? are these devices supports .net framework 2.0. and what if it has .net framework 1.1 already installed. can we have two of the frameworks side by side.

regards

Rashmi Todkar

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:21 AM
  • Yes, you can have versions v1 and v2 of the .NET Compact Framework installed side-by-side.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:41 AM
  • No, .NET CF 2.0 is not available on all platforms you want to support.

.NET CF 2.0 is available on Windows Mobile 5.0 (Pocket PC and Smartphone) and Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC.
    The Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone do only support .NET CF 1.0.

As Sergey said, side by side is possible.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:36 AM
  • ok thanks again guys.

one more thing :)

then do smartphone 2003 support custom true type fonts? (as it has .net cf 1.0 on it)

regards,

Rashmi Todkar

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:41 AM
  • Hi Rashmi

Yes, they do.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:17 PM
  • thanks again Michael

now one more doubt is there any problem on installing thses fonts with cab? i mean how to destribute them?

regards,

Rashmi Todkar

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:28 PM
  • This is just a 'file' that is copied to the \Windows directory.
    There should be no problems - provided that you do perform a 'soft reset' after installation.

Michael

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:41 PM
  • thanks a lot Michael :)

regards,

Rashmi Todkar

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:05 PM
  • Hi Michael,

where to copy Font file on Smartphone 2003 SE?

I tried \\Windows (but this folder is after soft reset loaded new, so no my file inside)

I also tried \\Storage\Windows or \\Storage\Windows\Fonts , but same effect.

I just used simple Verdana.ttf in my application, but on mobile it not works. It use only Nina font.

Then what steps I must do to register new font on device?

Thanks

Pavel

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 5:29 AM
  • Hi Pavel

Copy the TTF files to \\Storage\Windows\Fonts sould be fine. In addition call the native API AddFontResource to add make the new font available to applications.

This should solve the problem.
    Michael

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 8:38 PM
  • I copied a non-English font in my t-mobile dash..and I am in real trouble..The font is used by default in Java application making all Java application useless...

I went to delete and it says font is in use. How can I remove that? I have PHM registry editor ( i never used..) ..Please HELP!!!!!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 4:34 PM
  • Perform a 'Clean Storage' (Hard Reset) on the device.
    Make sure you backup all data before doing this - as this brings the device back to the factory default setting.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 10:42 PM
  • hi

One question how can we soft reset users phone after copying font file? is there any way to do this with cab? if yes what is the possible command for that.

regards

Rashmi Todkar

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:36 AM
  • Hi

Yes there is: create a optional setup dll (see http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/setupdll.html).
    Within 'Install_Exit' do a soft reset as described here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=260092&SiteID=1

Michael

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:17 PM
  • Once again thanks Michael ...

One off bit question do you have any idea about nstl tests? if yes can you please reply to this thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1069291&SiteID=1

regards,

Rashmi Todkar

Saturday, January 6, 2007 7:58 PM
  •  

Hi Michael,

I am developing an application for WM 5 &  WM 6 using vc++. When I install the application on mobile it has to install a new font.

How i can do this?  As I am very new to this can you pls tell me the steps.

Regards,

Prathu

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:25 AM