cross site, within collection, Lookup column RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible, through the UI or with  Designer 2007, do create a Lookup column that gets its data from another site within the same site collection?  If not, can you recommend any FREE third party tools to do this?  Thank you.
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what your are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi run4it,

Sorry for keep you waitting.

I agree with Gardener. SharePoint designer provides professional tools for building interactive solutions on the SharePoint platform without writing code, for designing custom SharePoint sites, and for maintaining site performance with reports and managed permissions but not do some custom operations which include that. 

Here is a third party tool which could fix your problem but only 30-day free trial.http://www.sharepointboost.com/Cross-SiteLookup.html

Best Regards,

Porter Wang

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:59 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:54 AM

All replies

• i am not sure whether there is any free third party tools, but you can create your own field type and then gets data from another site within the same site collection
    SharePoint Gardener in China
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:07 AM
  • I am not set up to do SharePoint development in Visual Studio.  Are custom field types something that can be created in Designer 2007?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what your are trying to accomplish.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi run4it,

Sorry for keep you waitting.

I agree with Gardener. SharePoint designer provides professional tools for building interactive solutions on the SharePoint platform without writing code, for designing custom SharePoint sites, and for maintaining site performance with reports and managed permissions but not do some custom operations which include that. 

Here is a third party tool which could fix your problem but only 30-day free trial.http://www.sharepointboost.com/Cross-SiteLookup.html

Best Regards,

Porter Wang

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:59 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:54 AM