Changing a vb.net 2010 desktop application to vb.net 2013 desktop application RRS feed

• Question

• I want to change an existing vb.net 2010 desktop application to vb.net 2013 desktop application.

From what I saw on the internet, it looks like all you have to do is just open the solution file with visual studio 2013. If a conversion needs to occur, the conversion tool will open up.

In my case there was no conversion tool and I thought everything was ok, but the conversion did not occur. The .net framework remained 3.5 when I looked at the compile options on the application properties.

I then went to change the framework to 4.5.1 and everything built ok. However when I tried to access SAP crystal reports, I got the error message, "Could not load file or assembly 'file///C'\Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI'.

This file directory exists.

Thus can you tell me the following:

1. How to make the solution file stay as visual studio 2013?

2. How do I change visual studio 2013 to know where  the folder listed above exists?

**Note: I tried references add and that did not work. Maybe I did something wrong?

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Wendy,

Open the project in the VS 2013. In Solution Explorer, double-click on "My Project" and when that opens, go to the Compile tab.

From there I think it's "Advanced" something ... advanced settings or something but you'll see that it's still set up as using Framework 4.0 (or 3.5 in your case).

Change that and it will tell you that it's going to re-start. Click "OK" and it should work.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Wendy,

Open the project in the VS 2013. In Solution Explorer, double-click on "My Project" and when that opens, go to the Compile tab.

From there I think it's "Advanced" something ... advanced settings or something but you'll see that it's still set up as using Framework 4.0 (or 3.5 in your case).

Change that and it will tell you that it's going to re-start. Click "OK" and it should work.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:35 PM
  • I am not sure what vb.net 2010 vb.net 2013 are. I assume you mean Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2013. Opening a project created using Visual Studio 2010 in Visual Studio 2013 will convert the project to a Visual Studio 2013 project but it won't change the program, at least not much and I think none at all. You need to make any modifications necessary to convert to a later version of .Net. So that explains what happened as far as .Net is concerned.

Crystal Reports is not a Microsoft product. I don't remember if VS 2010 provided a version of it; I think not but I am not sure. Regardless, I am nearly certain that you will need a license for it. If you do have the license then this seems to be a Crystal Reports problem.

In answer to your #1, I don't understand why you ask how to "make the solution file stay as visual studio 2013"; you say you converted it to VS 2013; are you using VS 2013 or VS 2017?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:16 AM