Publisher cannot be verified while installing my Outlook 2007 addin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After running my setup project for Outlook 2007 addin.Installation is successfully done.

when user is opening his outlook a dialog box is appearing with the name of my addin.dll saying Publisher cannot be verified. You should not install it, it can harm your computer. I think it is some assembly signing related problem.

But how can i rectify this problem.... 

Pls help.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

• You need to sign your VSTO deployment with a valid certificate that chains back to a Certificate Authority.

You can buy one from a certificate vendor such as Verisign, get one from from your server support guys, or use makecert to create one that you can manually install on the user's computer.

There's no way around this; it is a requirement to ensure that the office add-ins are valid and not malware.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Proposed as answer by Pranav Ainavolu Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, April 30, 2010 6:38 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think you are talking about this dialog described as Figure 21 in this MSDN page: Part 1. For this, as said in Part II, You can use two options to trust the solution during the installation process. First, you can sign the application and deployment manifests using a certificate trusted by the user. Second, you can add the location of the deployment manifest and the certificate that you used to sign the manifests to the list of trusted solutions. Please follow the steps above. Also here is a thread which may interest you.

If you have any concern for this, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Is there any way to avoid this dialog (Figure 21)?

Or atleast change the Publisher to another name?

Some of our users (who might have not read our installation manual) are thinking that this will harm their Outlook and clicking 'Don't Install' button and getting back to us with feedbacks.

Could you please suggest a process to avoid it or at least show a user friendly text there?

Thanks in advance!

Pranav Ainavolu
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:04 PM
  • You need to sign your VSTO deployment with a valid certificate that chains back to a Certificate Authority.

You can buy one from a certificate vendor such as Verisign, get one from from your server support guys, or use makecert to create one that you can manually install on the user's computer.

There's no way around this; it is a requirement to ensure that the office add-ins are valid and not malware.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Proposed as answer by Pranav Ainavolu Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, April 30, 2010 6:38 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Thanks for clarifying Robin!
    Pranav Ainavolu
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:38 AM