Windows 10 Home OEM third party components licenses RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if I'm writing on proper forum, but I haven't found better one, so...

how can I find out which Windows 10 (and included Microsoft Edge) third party components are licensed for me under their original license terms rather than under whole operating system license?

I've read Microsoft site and nothing clear follows from it: no clear-cut license marks, only information LGPL and GPL components are surely licensed under their original terms and conditions, but others? ~"if Microsoft have to retain license terms, original license passes to me, otherwise component is licensed under Windows license." Conclusion? I must read all Microsoft's license agreement and guess it can license it under own terms or not. But if I read Microsoft ~"can license component under own terms if conditions A met, otherwise not", how can I know it met conditions or not and thereby component is licensed for me under its original license or under Windows terms?

I've contacted Microsoft support, they sent me to developers, somewhere here, so I am.

Can anybody help?

Friday, February 28, 2020 10:24 AM

All replies

• you should not assume you can piggyback on third party component shipped in Windows. For one thing, whether third party components exist on a Windows install and where they are are implementation details that could change in the next Windows update or even turning Windows features on/off. For another, Microsoft is free to upgrade the third party components it uses and that may break your app if you take a direct dependency on those components (the famous DLL hell problem). Therefore even if a component exists in Windows and Microsoft permits you to use it, you'd better license from the original owner directly and ship your own binaries.  

There are some third party code that have APIs documented in Windows SDK. Eg Chromium-based Edge is exposed to UWP as WebView2. Those APIs are guaranteed to exist on supported Windows versions and you can use them after agreeing Microsoft APIs Terms of Use. But those are first party components if they have API despite the fact that Microsoft didn't write most of implementation.

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:12 PM