Can binaries be run from a directory other than MRDS/bin? RRS feed

• Question

• I have ProMRDS installed under my MRDS R2 directory.  By way of trying to gain a better handle on service contract identifiers, and why/how they can throw up mismatch errors, I have recompiled ProMRDS Chapter 3's ServiceA and ServiceB and placed the resulting binaries in ProMRDS/bin directory instead of MRDS's.  I confirmed that all the dll's and proxy.dll's are now in ProMRDS/bin.  In ServiceA and ServiceB project property, I of course changed the reference path to point to ProMRDS/bin and also changed the reference pointer to ServiceB in ServiceA.  But when I tried to run ServiceA, I got the Service Contract Identifier mismatch error for both ServiceA and ServiceB.  Does anyone know why? 

Of course, restoring everything to recompile to MRDS/bin works.  But I am still confused as to why changing what seems to be just the path where the binaries are kept would cause the Contract Identifier problem. 

Drew
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• No sooner did I post my question had I figured out the reason.  I did finally get ServiceA to work with ServiceB, with both binaries in ProMRDS/bin directory.  What I did wrong earlier was to pick the wrong proxy.dll for ServiceB when I went about changing the references for ServiceA.  Instead of selecting the version of ServiceB.proxy.dll in  ProMRDS/bin, I accidentally selected the one in MRDS/bin. DUH!!

Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:43 PM