IBW Deployment Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using my 32Gb USB flash stick to deploy Quebec images my to my device.
    I have all IBW files in root and, since there is no support for multi-partition USB, I created folder ~DATA for my other files.
    I had issue deploying image that way, because Quebec tried to scan my ~DATA folder during install and failed to get access to some folder in it.
    Installation process ended permanently with error like "No access to folder D:/~DATA/somefolder/"

The question is.
    Why and what it need in folder, not included in the initial IBW Media Content Structure?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Ok, yes, that's the issue we were thinking of.

Short answer:
    This will be fixed in the next release.

Long answer:
    When you use the "Create IBW Disk from Answer File" option in ICE, you create what we call a configset. A configset contains all of the packages you selected, and an answer file that tells IBW what to do with those packages. This configset is placed at the root of the IBW disk, so that it will automatically start deploying when IBW boots up.

When IBW starts installing, it goes through two main phases of installation - offline and online. In the offline phase, IBW installs the core OS while you're booted into WinPE. After this is done, your device will restart, and you'll boot into the actual OS being installed. During this online phase, the installation is finalized.

In between these phases, lots of things can happen to the installation media. For instance, you could be installing with IBW located on a network share. When your device reboots, we may no longer have access to the installation files, so installation might fail. Because of this, we copy all necessary files to your target disk before the device reboots.

Unfortunately, in this release, we copy everything at the root of the configset to the target device. Because the root of the configset happens to be the root of your USB disk, everything on your USB disk is copied. Yikes!

We realized this could happen, and implemented a solution so that IBW will only copy over files that are absolutely necessary. While this fix didn't get into the release you're using, you should not experience this issue in future versions.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• How do you start the install? Do you run from WinPE or a downlevel OS? Running from a downlevel OS may cause the drive letters to change after the first reboot happens during install.
    Sampath
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I have ~DATA folder on my USB flash drive with my files (some music, desktop drivers, downloads, docs, books etc.)
    I create IBW from Answer file
    Then put all to my USB flash drive so I have structure like:

autorun.inf
    AutoUnattend.xml
    AutoUnattend_Files
    boot
    bootmgr
    efi
    setup.exe
    SOURCES
    SUPPORT
    UPGRADE
    ~DATA

Then I insert USB flash to device with empty HDD and reboot
    Device boots from USB and starts PE with setup
    And somwhere in progress (before first reboot) I receive that error "No access to folder {MyMountedUsbFlashDrive}:/~DATA/somefolder/"

To resolve this, I had to delete my "somefolder" from USB flash.
    But question left unanswered, why PE scans folders, other than SOURCES, SUPPORT and UPGRADE.
    I'm afraid, it can lead to install unwanted drivers from other folders like "~DATA"

Monday, September 21, 2009 7:40 PM
  • I think I know what the problem is here. Can you share out your Panther logs so we can verify?

Log locations:
    • While running "autorun" (before clicking "Build an Image" or "Deploy an Answer File or WIM")
      • No Logs
    • Before installation actually starts (before clicking "Next" on the disk selection screen)
      • X:\windows\panther
    • After installation starts
      • C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther
    • After installation completes
      • C:\Windows\Panther

Some users have zipped up and uploaded their logs to SkyDrive: http://skydrive.live.com/. You can also open a bug via Microsoft Connect, and attach the logs there.

Monday, September 21, 2009 8:12 PM
  • I successfully reproduced error on my Virtual Machine.

1. Added folder "\~DATA\TestFolder"
    2. Set all permissions to "Deny" for folder  "\~DATA\TestFolder"
    3. Boot
    4. "Setup is starting..." Appears.
    5. Got an error "An error occurred while collecting disk space requirements"
    6. Watching log, found what caused it: EnumeratePathEx: FindFirstFile failed for [C:\~DATA\TestFolder\*]; GLE = 0x5[gle=0x00000005]
    7. Deleted "\~DATA\TestFolder"
    8. Boot
    9. "Setup is starting..." passed OK. "Installing Windows..." started.

I added screenshot1.png and panther1.zip log to Skydrive
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Ok, yes, that's the issue we were thinking of.

Short answer:
    This will be fixed in the next release.

Long answer:
    When you use the "Create IBW Disk from Answer File" option in ICE, you create what we call a configset. A configset contains all of the packages you selected, and an answer file that tells IBW what to do with those packages. This configset is placed at the root of the IBW disk, so that it will automatically start deploying when IBW boots up.

When IBW starts installing, it goes through two main phases of installation - offline and online. In the offline phase, IBW installs the core OS while you're booted into WinPE. After this is done, your device will restart, and you'll boot into the actual OS being installed. During this online phase, the installation is finalized.

In between these phases, lots of things can happen to the installation media. For instance, you could be installing with IBW located on a network share. When your device reboots, we may no longer have access to the installation files, so installation might fail. Because of this, we copy all necessary files to your target disk before the device reboots.

Unfortunately, in this release, we copy everything at the root of the configset to the target device. Because the root of the configset happens to be the root of your USB disk, everything on your USB disk is copied. Yikes!

We realized this could happen, and implemented a solution so that IBW will only copy over files that are absolutely necessary. While this fix didn't get into the release you're using, you should not experience this issue in future versions.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:43 PM