none
RAS Dialing problem, RASENTRY problem or something else. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having some problems using RAS to dial out on a GSM modem and was hoping that people here might be able to point me in the correct direction.

Initially, I had my APN set incorrectly and was getting the "Port Not Available" error message.  After fixing my APN the error has changed to "No Carrier" which is Error Code 0x2A7 (679).

I've used a terminal emulator to issue AT Commands and have confirmed that it has an operator (via AT+COPS? command) and via AT+CREG? I can see that it is registered but roaming.

If I use the AT#GPRS=1 command, it gives me an IP Address.  I can't seem to find any problems with the modem via the Terminal Emulator.

In terms of my RASENTRY, I do a RasGetEntryProperties modify the values then do a RasSetEntryProperties.  I've tried with and without the compression.  I don't have the use Country Code fields set so I don't think that the Area Code / Local Phone Number matters.  I've also tried with those fields set to "".

I use TAPI and the lineDevSpecific call to change the Baud Rate used by the RAS and TAPI. I can see via a scope that the baud rate is being properly set to 115200 (as the baud rate matches this on the scope.)

Using the rasdial test program in C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\DRIVERS\NETSAMP\RASDIAL gives me the same "No Carrier" error.  This leads me to believe that the problem is likely in my RASENTRY or DevConfig Struture as the stored versions of those is what the Microsoft RASDIAL program uses if my understanding is correct.

I've tried this with two different modems and get the same results.

My RASDIALPARAMS

Entry Name: `Desktop @ 19200`

Number: ""

Username: ""

Password: ""

Domain: ""

My RASENTRY (`Desktop @ 19200`)

Options: 0x208 (IP Header Compression + Software Compression)

Country ID: 0

Country Code: 1

Area Code: "425"

Local Phone Number: "10001"

IP Address: 0.0.0.0

DNS Address: 204.101.237.136

DNS Address(Alternate): 198.235.216.1

WINS (both): 0.0.0.0

FrameSize: 0

NEt Protocols: 4 (TCP/IP)

Framing Protocol: 1 (PPP)

Script: ""

Device Type: "modem"

DeviceName: "Hayes Compatible on COM7:"

X.25 ... (All "")

Channels: 0

Reserved1: 0

Reserved2: 0

Custom Auth Key: 0

After the connection gives me "No Carrier" I issue the AT&V2 command and it reports the following:

TOTAL CONNECTION TIME          : 0:00:14

CONNECTION FAILURE REASON      : powered off

LAST CONNECTION MODE           : RLP

The top two lines are the same as when the device is initially powered on, the LAST CONNECTION MODE is not present on initial power up.

Thank You

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• In case anyone has the same problem, my problem was that the Phone Number I was given to use was incorrect.  Changing the phone number fixed everything.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:07 PM

All replies

• In case anyone has the same problem, my problem was that the Phone Number I was given to use was incorrect.  Changing the phone number fixed everything.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Bradley,

Does this mean you have a solution to this thread? Using the incorrect phone number was the cause of your problem. I assume you have and that this thread is now concluded.

Regards,

John.

• Proposed as answer by J Marchant Friday, July 1, 2011 7:35 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:33 AM