Marketplace items stuck downloading RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a few items in Marketplace Management that appear to be stuck downloading. We have successfully downloaded a few items but some (including small 7.2M items) are still reporting as downloading. The delete button on these is grayed out so they can't be deleted from the UI.

What can be done in this case, can they be deleted using PowerShell?

Thanks

Ge0ff

Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hello Geoff,

Can you check the capacity blades in the Admin Portal and see if there are any Warnings or Alerts and post back to the forum.  Also check the amount of available memory and disk space on your Host. 

If that does not provide any clues we will need you to repro the failure, and run Get-AzureStackLogs.

Thanks,

Gary 

Gary Gallanes

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hello Geoff,

You can remove a Marketplace item in PowerShell by using the Remove-AzureRMGalleryItem cmdlet:

EXAMPLE:

Remove-AzureRMGalleryItem -Name Microsoft.SimpleTemplate.1.0.0  –Verbose 

NOTE: The Marketplace UI may show an error after you remove an item.

To fix: Click Settings in the portal, then select ‘Discard modifications’ under Portal customization

Let us know how is goes.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

Please feel free to contact us if you continue to experience issues with the current ASDK release.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:44 PM
  • Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply. When running Get-AzureRMGalleryItem it appears that the items that are still "downloading" do not appear in the list. I doubt that they are actually still downloading as the SQL IaaS Extension is only 7.2MB and we have a 1GB internet connection and it has been saying downloading for over 24hrs now.

Also, if I click on the Compute resource provider and then VM Images, it appears that the images that are showing as "downloading" in the Marketplace are showing as "creating"in the RP. I have tried to delete one of the stuck VM images from there but it does nothing.

Is there a way to reset things and restart the downloads, either by restarting the node which performs the Marketplace operations, the image creation or in done other way?

Thanks

Geoff

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Hi Gary

If there is anything you can suggest here it would be a great help as we are pretty stuck now!

Looking further into this I think the download has completed successfully although the portal still says downloading. The reason I think that is because I can see C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\Shares\SU1_ObjStore\CRP\PlatformImages\a77fc8ce-29f5-4d70-bd3a-d72081c43517\disk.vhd with a modified time of when the download should have finished. This seems to match the size of the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter item I added from the Marketplace.

So it looks like whatever is hanging is between the item being downloaded and it being marked as "succeeded" in Marketplace Management and Microsoft Azure Stack - Administration > Compute > VM images.

Is there any logs we can look at or troubleshooting steps to take to try understand what is happening here?

I rebooted the host and waited for all the VMs to come back up again and the VM Images that were "creating" were then marked as "failed". I was then able to delete them using PowerShell. I was able to add the SQL IaaS Extension successfully which is only 7.2MB so I am wondering if these is a disk space issue somewhere although the SU1 cluster reports over a TB free.

Geoff

Friday, October 20, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Hello Geoff,

Can you check the capacity blades in the Admin Portal and see if there are any Warnings or Alerts and post back to the forum.  Also check the amount of available memory and disk space on your Host. 

If that does not provide any clues we will need you to repro the failure, and run Get-AzureStackLogs.

Thanks,

Gary 

Gary Gallanes

Monday, October 23, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Hi Gary

Thanks I have been able to move forward a bit after rebooting the host as I was then able to delete some of the failed items and then on downloading some they were successful.

I still have an issue wiht the Server 2016 Datacenter image though. I have been able to delete it from the Marketplace but it still shows as failing in Compute > VM Images. Trying to delete it in the UI does nothing, and with PowerShell it says deleted but the image is still there as shown below: -

PS C:\AzureStack-Tools-master\ComputeAdmin>   Remove-AzsVMImage `
     -publisher "MicrosoftWindowsServer" `
     -offer "WindowsServer" `
     -sku "2016-Datacenter" `
     -version "2016.127.20170918" `
     -location "local"
    VERBOSE: VM Image is present in Azure Stack - continuing to remove
    VERBOSE: Deleting VM Image
    True
    VERBOSE: Removing the marketplace item for the VM Image.

PS C:\AzureStack-Tools-master\ComputeAdmin>   Get-AzsVMImage `
     -publisher "MicrosoftWindowsServer" `
     -offer "WindowsServer" `
     -sku "2016-Datacenter" `
     -version "2016.127.20170918" `
     -location "local"

ResourceId     : /subscriptions/9428cca4-320d-4f72-821d-a3d3d29078bf/providers/Microsoft.Compute.Admin/locations/local/artifactTypes/platformImage/publishers/MicrosoftWindowsServer/offers/Wi
                     ndowsServer/skus/2016-Datacenter/versions/2016.127.20170918
    ResourceName   : local/platformImage/MicrosoftWindowsServer/WindowsServer/2016-Datacenter/2016.127.20170918
    ResourceType   : Microsoft.Compute.Admin/locations/artifactTypes/publishers/offers/skus/versions
    Location       : local
    SubscriptionId : 9428cca4-320d-4f72-821d-a3d3d29078bf
    Properties     : @{osDisk=; dataDisks=System.Object[]; details=; provisioningState=Failed}

Can't see a way of deleting it and it is preventing me downloading it again. If I do try add it from Marketplace, it goes to "succeeded" almost instantly yet nothing has been downloaded. It creates a folder in the C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\Shares\SU1_ObjStore\CRP\PlatformImages yet this remains and the failed item remains in Compute > VM Images.

Regards

Geoff

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Hi Gary

This is still a big problem for us and we are not able to move forward with our Azure Stack PoC until we figure this one out. I have even redeployed the ASDK to see if that would resolve the issue but even after redeploying the issue persists.

This time I was successfully able to download "Server 2016 Datacenter " from the Marketplace and then tried to download "Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - Server Core" which started downloading and is now hung. I have also tried to download the "Sql IaaS Extension" and this too is hanging in the downloading state. Regardless of the time I leave these downloads they do not complete. 

One thought I had is if there is a timeout on the internet connection whether the download fails and whether it is not able to then recover or re-download the file. The internet connection on the host seems fine, we have a 1GB link and the first file downloaded at about 600MB/s.

I have gathered the logs which will hopefully identify what is the problem here. How do I go about submitting them for analysis?

Thanks

Geoff

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:01 PM
  • Email sent to 'ascustfeedback@microsoft.com' requesting a workspace be created so we can upload logs.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:31 PM
  • Hello Geoff,
    We've set up your DTMv2 Workspace to upload your logs and sent the secure link to your email.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:54 PM
  • Thanks Gary

I have now uploaded the AzureStackLogs and the ASDKEventLogs to the workspace provided. I have also uploaded some screenshots of what we are seeing in the UI.

I redeployed the ASDK and reproduced the issue within 2hrs of completing the deployment, once registration was completed. I believe this should contain all the necessary logs as I can see files in there from the deployment itself.

Thank you for your assistance and look forward to any feedback you may be able to provide.

Regards

Geoff
    Friday, October 27, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Hi Gary

Has there been any progress in getting the logs uploaded last week analysed?

I need to demo Azure Stack to the business this Thursday and an the moment am unable to as can't get the necessary images to configure the SQL hosts etc.

Regards

Geoff

• Edited by Geoff.Carr Monday, October 30, 2017 10:23 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hello Geoff,

We got your logs late Friday afternoon PST and typically don't have available resources on the weekends. We have your logs download now and continuing our investigation. 

We will reply with ‘next steps’ as soon as we our analysis is completed.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:07 PM