Recommendation: Best Storage Options for Local/Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some recommended approaches to getting a copy of our data online using Server 2016 Standard, installed locally.  We'll soon be having 5-10 TB of data to store, which I would love to have replicated online.  We have 2016 rolled out to a few servers here, but have only initially looked at new storage features in 2016.  We've only used basic file servers in the past, but would like to take advantage of some of the new capabilities of 2016/Azure.  

I've only begun reading about Storage Replica's and am wonder if that is the best approach, but unsure of any details on set up, caveats, or best practices.

Are there any file size limits to watch out for?  We'll have some individual video files over 4 GB so I'd like to make sure we give ourselves the the ability to scale as needed.  We've always used NTFS, but I've been looking into ReFS as well, trying to find out if there's any compatibility issues with older Windows 7 clients.  Or if ReFS is even applicable for our needs?

Any information is helpful at this point.

-Rory

Rory Schmitz

• Changed type vikranth s Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:13 PM Question
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Rory,

you could install a second W2016 in azure and use the replication mechanism from the OS.
    You can add local disks to Azure VMs with each max4TB capacity. If thats not enough you can stripe the disks and get a bigger volume (and extra IOPS)

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

• Marked as answer by RorySchmitz Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Q: If using the Azure Backup product, would that allow you to schedule backups every few hours?

You can backup maximum three times in a day.

Azure site recovery can sync data very quickly. You won’t be able to assign blob to VMs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:35 PM

All replies

• You can copy data from on-premises server to azure with Azure backup.

For more information refer the below articles and let us know if you need further assistance:

Protecting Windows Server 2016 using Azure Backup
    Back up files and folders

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Thank you, SumanthBM.  From what I could gather from the links you provided, is this more of a traditional backup option?  I do like the backup portion to the Azure vault.  I was thinking more of a real time replication, or every few minutes.  We do get successful nightly backups now using Veeam, but hoping a near-line copy could be out in the cloud somewhere as well.  I'd love to take advantage of some of the cloud features of 2016.

Rory Schmitz

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:33 PM
  • To clarify: Are you looking for more frequent "sync" than just a backup?

Additional information: If you put your data on the folder and OneDrive will keep a near real-time copy in cloud.  If OneDrive for business is closer to what your referring?

Another alternative is that you may run AzCopy with appropriate switches to mirror data out to a storage account
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-use-azcopy#azcopy-parameters

Try to deploy a service locally which can then act as a source/sink for data and ADF can move data between connectors

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Hi Rory,

you could install a second W2016 in azure and use the replication mechanism from the OS.
    You can add local disks to Azure VMs with each max4TB capacity. If thats not enough you can stripe the disks and get a bigger volume (and extra IOPS)

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

• Marked as answer by RorySchmitz Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Hi, thank you both for the replies.  Initially, I was focused on replication as we want duplicate data on the cloud for a faster disaster recovery.  Someone had brought up a good point about ransomware and how that encrypted data would likely get replicated up to the cloud as well.  This made me think replication may not be the best approach.  

If using the Azure Backup product, would that allow you to schedule backups every few hours?

I had heard about AzCopy just recently and it sounded like it may be a good fit.  Presently, we have a trial Azure account set up and will be doing some testing.  What type of storage option do people typically choose on the Azure portal as a landing zone?  I'm guessing if we had a VM created on Azure, but turned off or disabled, in the event of a failure on-prem, we could power on and attach the AzCopy data has a VHD of sorts?  

We do currently have Office 365 E3 plans, which includes OneDrive for Business.  We'll take that into consideration  

Rory Schmitz

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Q: If using the Azure Backup product, would that allow you to schedule backups every few hours?

You can backup maximum three times in a day.

Azure site recovery can sync data very quickly. You won’t be able to assign blob to VMs

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:35 PM