TFS 2008 and TFS 2010 Parallelly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We are planning to upgrade from TFS 2008 to 2012 (Migration based upgrade with new Instance) and its not turning out to be a smooth process in convincing all the dev teams. Here is our situation, we are planning to run both TFS 2008 and TFS 2012 versions parallelly and would like to know what kind of issues(from Tfs services,domain accounts perspective) I can expect/anticipate once we upgrade to 2012 and dev teams started working on both the versions. We are a small firm and have everything(Builds, TFS etc) configured under one service account. Our Management team is coming up with a weird process which I'm not convinced with---They want us to move the Sourcecode/data manually after 5 weeks or so to the new TFS 2012 environment. I would rather wait for 5 weeks and work on 2008 environment till then and do a single Upgrade to 2012. So  I would like to know the best approach and roadblocks if we run parallel environments. Thanks 

Regards,

Rahman

Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:34 PM

Answers

• So all I wanted to know is the issues we may face if we run both 2008 and 2012 versions parallelly(Network/port issues or any TFS services issues). 

TFS 2008 and TFS 2012 can run in parallel if they're hosted by different server.

But don't forget that you can't synchronise modification from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012 other than doing it manually

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:20 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:15 PM

All replies

• hi Rahman

I would not recommend to migrate to TFS 2012 but go to TFS 2013 as both migration path are the same steps and TFS 2013 offers many new features compared to TFS 2012 and it would bring you to the latest available version. Upgrade is TFS 2008 -> TFS 2010 -> TFS 2012/13.

You're writing that you're a small firm but mention to have many devs team complicating the coordination to switch to TFS 2012.

could you give us some figures, size of your dev teams and size of your TFS database.

you could run TFS 2008 and TFS 2012 in parallel on different server using the same service accounts.

As TFS 2008 does not support TFS Collection you've to migrate the complete TFS 2008 repository to new TFS version and synchronisation during migration phases is not possible.

Could tell us the concerns of your mangement team about migrating all dev teams to TFS 2012 because development environment (Visual Studio) and TFS are mainly independent except that you need to setup your build environment from scratch but you can use the legacy template which allows to use the existing build project definition (.prj) from TFS 2008 in TFS 2012 til you've migrated to native TFS 2012 build definition.

Definitively I would recommand to perform a complete test migration and run some test your selected members from your dev teams and than decided if you can upgrade to TFS 2012 and which needs to be take care of.

As a general and good instruction for upgrading TFS 2008 server see TFS Upgrade Guide - Visual Studio ALM Rangers

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Daniel. 

Concerns  --we are planning to introduce Branching Merging strategy in our organization and archive the legacy code as we don't have a proper structure as of now. Along with that planning for Build automation across all teams. At this point of time Management is not ready for Upgrade and we(Release Management)  kind of enforcing it as most of developers are already using VS 2010 and 2012.

I know TFS 2013 ships with more exciting ALM and advanced features and will plan for In-place upgrade in the near future but for now we got the approval only for TFS 2012 and cannot think of 2013 right now.

We have like 5-6 teams with 5-8 developers in each team and TFS DB size would be around 90-100GB approximately.

Unfortunately we don't have a test environment in place so I cannot perform a test Upgrade. And moreover if something goes wrong during the Upgrade we can always bring the TFS 2008 services up and continue working until issues are fixed (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm familiar with the upgrade process as I have done it previously from 2008 to 2010 in the past in a different work environment.

So all I wanted to know is the issues we may face if we run both 2008 and 2012 versions parallelly(Network/port issues or any TFS services issues). Thanks

--Rahman

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:10 PM
  • So all I wanted to know is the issues we may face if we run both 2008 and 2012 versions parallelly(Network/port issues or any TFS services issues). 

TFS 2008 and TFS 2012 can run in parallel if they're hosted by different server.

But don't forget that you can't synchronise modification from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012 other than doing it manually

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:20 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:15 PM