none
64 bit dataprovider for Access database files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

As there will be both 32 and 64 bit versions of Access 2010, do you think
    Microsoft will provide a means of using Access database files from 64 bit VB
    2010 programs? At present I understand the only method is to set the target CPU
    to x86 in the advanced compiler settings so that the program will run in the
    WOW 32 bit environment in which either oledb or the ACE 2007 Office System Driver
    can be used to read/write data to Access database files.

We have over 2,000 users of our VB suite of programs which use Access
    databases. The databases are single user but, as this is a CAD application,
    we now want to take advantage of the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Some users
    often need to modify database reports, etc and this is one reason why Access is
    better for us than SQL Server Compact Edition. Moreover while SQL Server
    Compact Edition is billed as an “embedded database engine for Windows desktop
    applications” it doesn’t seem to be receiving much enthusiastic support from
    Microsoft or developers.

If a 64 bit dataprovider can be developed for the SQL Server Compact Edition
    ".sdf" file format I would have thought a 64 bit dataprovider would also be
    feasible for the Access database file format. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks
    Roger
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:50 AM

Answers

• If there is a 64-bit provider I would suspect it would be ACE OLEDB. Jet is obsolete.

Unfortunately I can't confirm or deny whether it will be the case. Office 2010 is currently in beta.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:38 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• If there is a 64-bit provider I would suspect it would be ACE OLEDB. Jet is obsolete.

Unfortunately I can't confirm or deny whether it will be the case. Office 2010 is currently in beta.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:38 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Hi Paul

Many thanks for the reply. I guessed ACE would be the more likely solution. Either alternative would be fine as long as we get a means of reading and writing to Microsoft Access database files from 64 bit programs without having to limit performance by running in the WOW environment.

Best Regards
    Roger
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Microsoft Access Engine 2010 - 64 bit (Beta) is available to download from the following link

2010 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components

This engine will allow 64 bit applications to communicate with access files (mdb or accdb) via 64 bit access engine. Please note that this is still in Beta and doenst like if you have mixture of the Office products i.e. 32 and 64 bit products as it asked me to uninstall Office 2007 (32bit) before the engine gets installed.

Btw, It worked fine when I have tried to connect to mdb file from native 64 bit C++ application using above data provider.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

Monday, December 7, 2009 12:11 PM