none
ssrs 2017 upgrade issue Server left in poor install state

Question

• Im working on a test server testing the upgrade of sql2014 with ssrs in native mode to sql2017 and encountered an install error leaving the server in an inconsistent state. error from setup is (the destination thread no longer exisits)

Steps:

1 ran setup got warning to migrate SSRS firs
      2 Exitied setup  installed ssrs 2017 and checked installation (new ssrs databases placed on instance to be upgrade
      3 ran sql2017 setup, the process seemed ok until above error encountered.
      4 restarted server
      5 re-ran sql2017 setup that  detected TWO instances of sql versioned 14 (weird)
     6 in selected one of the instances and setup detected a failed install prompting to remove the component that failed.
    7 the only only components listed were db and ssrs to be uninstalled. unchecking either or both did not work and I couldn't proceed any further.

I havnt found any instructions to specify I should do anything different.

Anyone have any idea where this process is going wrong

Regards

Colin

Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi CloudRobinson,

When you upgrade SQL Server, the previous version of SQL Server will be overwritten and will no longer exist on your computer. So before upgrading, back up SQL Server databases and other objects associated with the previous SQL Server instance.

In addition, you also need to check whether you have met the prerequisites for upgrade. You could refer to Upgrade SQL Server Using the Installation Wizard (Setup) and Upgrade and Migrate Reporting Services for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 08, 2017 1:56 AM