none
Office mail app and MVC gives a retry and start before working RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MVC app that works stand alone and I added a mail app project and pointed the mail app to start the MVC app.

I registered my app and when I click on it I get a RETRY and then a START message then everything works. I tried a redirect which works in Chrome but not IE.

How can I get the retry and start to not come up? I tried adding Office.js to the site master but it just locked up the page.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:22 PM

Answers

• I set my page to be the home.html page created by the office apps project, loaded the office.js and then did an html redirect to my mvc app. 

Seems like a kluge but it now works in IE, Outlook and Chrome. Although it is quite slow.

I had checked the page through fiddler and it was loading the office.js but would not load the other pages based on jquery. So it may be another issue. I will continue with the work around. Thx.

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary Cawley,

>>I registered my app and when I click on it I get a RETRY and then a START message then everything works. I tried a redirect which works in Chrome but not IE.

How can I get the retry and start to not come up? I tried adding Office.js to the site master but it just locked up the page.<<

What did you mean locked up the page and what's version of IE are you developing? As far as I know, we need to add Office.js to handle our 404 detection. If Office.js isn't loaded within 5 seconds, we think that the link is broken and rather than showing an ugly browser error, we show our own(Outlook app error on load for new pages).

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 6:46 AM
  • I added this line to the top of the header in the site master where all my references are. 

<script src="https://appsforoffice.microsoft.com/lib/1.1/hosted/office.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

And it just has a spinning wheel and it never loads my page. If I remove it everything works standalone.

I will try and add it to the main index page to see if it works there.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:29 PM
  • I am using ie 11. ALso Outlook 2013 does not load the page as well.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Here is my site master. I cannot add the office.js to other pages as I get an error. All my pages are https. 

<%@ Master Language="vb" Inherits="System.Web.Mvc.ViewMasterPage"   %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="SoWeb" %>

<script runat="server">

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub
    </script>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head id="Head1" runat="server">

<script src="https://appsforoffice.microsoft.com/lib/1.1/hosted/office.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
        <title>
            <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="TitleContent" runat="server" />  
        </title>
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//code.jquery.com/mobile/1.3.2/jquery.mobile-1.3.2.min.css" />
    <script src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js"></script>
    <script src="//code.jquery.com/mobile/1.3.2/jquery.mobile-1.3.2.min.js"></script>

<script src="../../../../Scripts/MicrosoftAjax.debug.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
        <script src="../../../../Scripts/MicrosoftMvcAjax.debug.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    <%--<meta name="viewport" content="width=320; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />--%>
    <meta name="apple-touch-fullscreen" content="YES" />
    <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />
    <link href="apple-touch-icon.png" rel="apple-touch-icon"/>

</head>
    <body>            
            <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="MainContent" runat="server">         

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
    </body>
    </html>

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:22 PM
  • Hi Gary Cawley,

>>I cannot add the office.js to other pages as I get an error.<<

Which the error are you handling? If you have problem with developing MVC, I suggest that you reopen a new thread in MVC forum.

I suggest that you open the web page in the browser directly to see whether the web page can be visit. And to ensure the web page works for Outlook Add-in, please check the web page contains the reference for the Office.js.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:11 AM
  • I set my page to be the home.html page created by the office apps project, loaded the office.js and then did an html redirect to my mvc app. 

Seems like a kluge but it now works in IE, Outlook and Chrome. Although it is quite slow.

I had checked the page through fiddler and it was loading the office.js but would not load the other pages based on jquery. So it may be another issue. I will continue with the work around. Thx.

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:45 PM