none
Import color schemes in Visual Studio 2015

Question

• Hi,

Were moving from VS2012 to VS2015. When setting up my IDE I exported my color scheme that I used in VS2012 and imported it in VS2015. 

However most colors that are used and are in the export file, are not set in VS2015. Only the background seems to be picked up. All the colors for types etc are not changed.

Did something change in the way they export and import settings?

Regards,

Hubert

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your update.

I did test in my side. And the results is same to you. The font and colors are not changed after importing the settings from VS2012 to VS2013.

I guess this function "Import setting from VS2012 to VS2013" is not supported. Since the design in VS2012 is not same as VS2015.

So you may need to manually change the settings in VS2015 under Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and colors.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your post.

Please follow the steps below to import the color from VS2012 to VS2015.

1.Open menu Tools -> Import and Export settings in VS2012.
    2.Select "Export selected Environment settings" option and Next.
    3.Unchecked "All settings" and then checked Options ->  Environment -> Fonts and Colors option. Click Next button.
    4.Named your settings file and choose a store path.
    5.Finish.
    6.Open menu Tools -> Import and Export settings in VS2015.
    7.Select "Import selected Environment settings" option and Next.
    8.Click Next button to Choose a Collection of Settings to Import window.
    9.Click the Browse button to choose the settings file you exported from VS2013.
    10.Click Next button and Finish Import operation

If the colors still no changed after the above steps. I suggest you could manually change it in the VS2015 directly.(Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors)

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao,

Thanks for your response. I already followed the steps you mentioned. And the colors were not imported correctly.

I know that I can change the colors manually, but that just takes a while.

I also exported the colors and font from vs2015 and compared it to the export from vs2012 and noticed that the exports do not match. There are more items in the export from 2012 then in the export from 2015.

Guess they changed or broke something then?

Regards,

Hubert

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your update.

I did test in my side. And the results is same to you. The font and colors are not changed after importing the settings from VS2012 to VS2013.

I guess this function "Import setting from VS2012 to VS2013" is not supported. Since the design in VS2012 is not same as VS2015.

So you may need to manually change the settings in VS2015 under Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and colors.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:01 AM