Installing With Tools from a Virtual Mount in Without Tools?

Question

• Trying to install the With Tools ISO as a Mount from a Without Tools install (this one). That stalled (obviously--cancelled after about an hour and I rebooted without even having to do a repair) but I don't know if it is even supposed to be possible. BTW I needed to do it this way because I don't have the necessary hardware to create that larger bootable "disk".  I was actually intending on doing an install-in-place (because of the keep: Nothing question) on a removable harddrive (USB-SATA) but apparently that is not allowed.  So I was expecting this install-in-place to be a bit slower but not that slow. Task Manager and Resource Monitor were showing periodic (not even once a minute) I/O activity only for System and no change for any of the install processes.

BTW my original report via the Feedback tool was more coherent.   How do I refer to it?

TIA

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:49 PM

Answers

• I found a solution.  Right-click Run as Administrator on the Setup.exe.  So, I suppose my "hang" symptom was WAD for non-admin users?   Seems like a prompt would have been helpful--would have spared me an hour of my time testing and monitoring at least.  ; }

---

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:44 PM