none
Need macro for auto update my file RRS feed

• Question

•  Using This Sheet

My wife is the librarian for our branch of the BBKA (British BeeKeepers Association) and we have a number of book in our library (100+).  At present they are recorded in a note book and when we lend out the book we write down who has them etc.

I would like to try and automate the listing of the books so we can send a list out in the newsletter to say these books are available for borrowing and we can record on the spreadsheet who has the book.

I have started recoding the details (see attach) and it is very painful and slow.

I tried to speed this up by getting a bar code scanner so where we have a books with a bar code I zapped the bar code and recorded the ISBN number (see column G).

The ask, do you know anyone who has a way to take the ISBN number, pick it up from someone like “Amazon” or some other book site and populate the details into a spreadsheet.

The file is not fixed and I am happy to scrap this and start again if someone is able to capture the details.

Anyone please  can help.  Any / All information is good, I can't always filter it.  Otherwise we will just carry on typing manually.

Saniv Sharma

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Saniv Sharma,

I can see that till now you are manage all book entries manually in the book and now you want to automate it using Excel.

First of all I want to tell you that its called a library management system and Access or sql database is the best to store the data of it. with the help of Access you can develop a complete Library management system that can able to perform every task in the system.

if you find on the internet then also you will get a lots of free software and system for library management.

then also if you want to do it in Excel then I have some links that can help you.

How Do I Use Microsoft Excel to Catalog Books?

Library Management

Following link is for Free Library management software that also use Excel to maintain data.

Library Management Software 1.0

if you think that by scanning the ISBN number using Barcode scanner your work will done then I want to tell you that there are so many other things that also you have to consider to fulfill your requirement.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:58 AM

All replies

• Use a web query.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Yes I tried,

Not getting it right

Saniv Sharma

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Hi Saniv Sharma,

I can see that till now you are manage all book entries manually in the book and now you want to automate it using Excel.

First of all I want to tell you that its called a library management system and Access or sql database is the best to store the data of it. with the help of Access you can develop a complete Library management system that can able to perform every task in the system.

if you find on the internet then also you will get a lots of free software and system for library management.

then also if you want to do it in Excel then I have some links that can help you.

How Do I Use Microsoft Excel to Catalog Books?

Library Management

Following link is for Free Library management software that also use Excel to maintain data.

Library Management Software 1.0

if you think that by scanning the ISBN number using Barcode scanner your work will done then I want to tell you that there are so many other things that also you have to consider to fulfill your requirement.

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:58 AM