Presentation ideas for 'metadata-enabled' document library (2016) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a document library with 2 metadata columns and I have grouped the (800+) documents using the 2 columns. I am however hesitant to 'dump' the 'raw' doc. lib. on a page and let users locate documents either by searching or by expanding the 'group' of interest.

I was rather inspired by this Pinterest submission (I could not upload a 195kB image here (Safari and I.E. 11)!!  - original image HERE).

I'd appreciate some ideas of how to create such a page with individual 'viewers' where only documents that fall under a certain classification (filters based on the metadata columns) are visible. Which web parts can I use to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff  

g_p_k_

• Edited by g_p_k_wss3 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:03 PM .
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:59 PM

All replies

• Drop off library.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-Content-Organizer-rules-to-route-documents-74DFE36D-E3D6-40B7-9A5C-BEEA0C84DEED

Justin Liu Office Servers and Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Hi Geoff,

You can use permissions to achieve your purpose.

You have mentioned that you grouped the (800+) documents using the 2 columns, do you mean that you place these documents into two folders? If so, you can use “Target Audiences” function of web parts.

1.Change the permissions of the folders. Select one folder, click “Share With” in the ribbon and then click “ADVANCED” to change the permission.

2. Click “Stop Inheriting Permissions” in the ribbon, and then you can create a unique permission for this folder.

3. Select all the options and click “Remove User Permissions” in the ribbon to remove all the permissions of this folder before, then click “Grant Permissions” to grant permission to the specify groups. You can also click “SHOW OPTIONS” to select a permission level for the specify user.

4. change the permission of another folder and grant permission to another groups.

5. Add the list web part in one page and edit the list web part. Add a group to the “Target Audience” option. If someone are not members of this group, they will see nothing in the this page.

In addition, if you do not group the documents into two folders, you can add a content search web part in a page and change queries of the web part to display documents that fall under a certain classification.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for the suggestion - however my idea was to simplify the access to the various documents by creating 'views' that use the same term sets (as filters) I used to classify and group (2 metadata columns) the documents in one giant document library (where all file names are unique). Currently its easy enough to just let users access the docs in the parent doc. lib. because the grouping allows them to expand the set they are interested in OR search for the doc(s) they want, but I'm trying to develop this alternative access.

Thanks,

Geoff.

g_p_k_

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Hi Geoff- you could use content types to display exactly what you want in the views. Otherwise you may consider a content query.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:28 PM