Build Failed In December CTP RRS feed

• Question

• I moved a project from a server with TFS beta3 refresh installed to another with December CTP. When I build it,  a referenced file can not be found.

structure of my solution is like:

Solution

|_______Project MapiLib (C++ dll)

|_______Project My.Blog (vb.net library)

|_______Project CommunityAddin (C# library)

MapiLib and My.Blog projects are refered by CommunityAddin.

When I build it locally and in a server with beta3 refresh, it is all right. It could not find the MapiLib's output during team build on server with December CTP.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:57 AM

Answers

•  

I am sorry jemmy. The above mentioned workaround will not work.

The proper way to fix the issue is to create the buildtype and select the "mixed platforms" and then build.  Please ignore the previous post

<PlatformToBuild>Mixed Platforms</PlatformToBuild>

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:57 PM

All replies

• How are you referencing the project?  Are you using Project to Project references? (To use P2P, open add reference dialog and choose Project tab)

If you have hard-coded path in references, build may fail on machines where the directory structure is not same including Team Build Machine where the structure is different.

Thanks,

Gautam

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:56 AM
  • actually, I referred them with P2P.... 

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:51 AM
  • Jemmy

There has been no change in the way references are resolved in teambuild between tfs beta3 refresh and december CTP bits.

1) Can you share your build log with us?

2) Can you make sure that project "MapiLib" is actually getting build and the corresponding assembly is droped at the correct location?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:00 AM
  • Thanks. Here is the build log:

Target ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
            Building solution configuration "Debug|Win32".
        Target Build:
            Target AutoProxy:
                d:\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\vc\vcpackages\vcbuild.exe /override:"D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\BuildType\TFSBuild.vsprops" "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\AutoProxy\AutoProxy.vcproj" "Debug|Win32" 
                 Done building target "AutoProxy" in project "CommunityAddin.sln".
            Target MapiLib:( MapiLib is built Here)
                d:\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\vc\vcpackages\vcbuild.exe /override:"D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\BuildType\TFSBuild.vsprops" "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\MapiLib\MapiLib.tmp_Debug_Win32.vcproj" "Debug|Win32"
                Deleting file "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\MapiLib\MapiLib.tmp_Debug_Win32.vcproj".
            Target My_Blog:
                The project "My.Blog" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Win32".
            Target CommunityAddin:
                The project "CommunityAddin" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Win32".

Target ReachOut:
                d:\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\vc\vcpackages\vcbuild.exe /override:"D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\BuildType\TFSBuild.vsprops" "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\ReachOut\ReachOut.vcproj" "Debug|Win32"

Target ActionsInstaller:
                The project "ActionsInstaller" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Win32".
        Done building target "Build" in project "CommunityAddin.sln".

Done building project "CommunityAddin.sln".
    Target CoreCompile:

Project "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\BuildType\TFSBuild.proj" is building "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.sln" (Build target(s)):

Target ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
            Building solution configuration "Debug|Any CPU".
        Target Build:
            Target AutoProxy:
                The project "AutoProxy" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Any CPU".
            Target MapiLib:
                The project "MapiLib" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Any CPU".
            Target My_Blog:
                Project "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.sln" is building "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\My.Blog\My.Blog.vbproj" (default targets):

Target PrepareForBuild:
                    Creating directory "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\".
                    Creating directory "obj\Debug\".
                Target CoreResGen:
                    Processing resource file "My Project\MyResources.resx" into "obj\Debug\MyBlogs.MyResources.resources".
                    Processing resource file "My Project\Resources.resx" into "obj\Debug\MyBlogs.Resources.resources".
                Target CoreCompile:
                    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Vbc.exe /noconfig /imports:AutoProxy,Microsoft.VisualBasic,System,System.Collections,System.Diagnostics /nowarn:42016,42017,42018,42019,42032 /rootnamespace:MyBlogs /define:"CONFIG=\"Debug\",DEBUG=-1,TRACE=-1,_MyType=\"Windows\",PLATFORM=\"AnyCPU\"" /reference:AutoProxy.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.Services.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Windows.Forms.dll,C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /debug+ /debug:full /out:obj\Debug\MyBlogs.dll /resource:obj\Debug\MyBlogs.MyResources.resources /resource:obj\Debug\MyBlogs.Resources.resources /target:library Atom\AtomFeed.vb Atom\AtomFeedEntry.vb Atom\Category.vb Atom\Generator.vb Atom\Link.vb Atom\Person.vb BlogInfo.vb FeedErrorArgs.vb "My Project\Resources.Designer.vb" Feed.vb FeedEntry.vb Feeds.vb FeedUpdatedArgs.vb MemoryUtilities.vb "My Project\AssemblyInfo.vb" "My Project\MyApplication.Designer.vb" "My Project\MyResources.Designer.vb" "My Project\MySettings.Designer.vb" MyBlogs.vb BlogGroup.vb PublishProvider.vb PublishProviders\BloggerAPIPublishProvider.vb PublishProviders\DotTextPublishProvider.vb PublishProviders\MetaWebLogPublishProvider.vb Rdf\Image.vb Rdf\RdfFeed.vb Rdf\RdfFeedEntry.vb Rdf\TextInput.vb Rss\Category.vb Rss\Cloud.vb Rss\Enclosure.vb Rss\Guid.vb Rss\Image.vb Rss\RssFeed.vb Rss\RssFeedEntry.vb Rss\SkipDays.vb Rss\SkipHours.vb Rss\Source.vb Rss\TextInput.vb WatchFeed.vb
                Target _CopyFilesMarkedCopyLocal:
                    Copying file from "AutoProxy.dll" to "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\AutoProxy.dll".
                    Copying file from ".\AutoProxy.pdb" to "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\AutoProxy.pdb".
                Target _CopyAppConfigFile:
                    Copying file from "app.config" to "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MyBlogs.dll.config".
                Target CopyFilesToOutputDirectory:
                    Copying file from "obj\Debug\MyBlogs.dll" to "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MyBlogs.dll".
                    My.Blog -> D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MyBlogs.dll
                    Copying file from "obj\Debug\MyBlogs.pdb" to "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MyBlogs.pdb".
            Target CommunityAddin:
                Project "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.sln" is building "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.csproj" (default targets):

Target PrepareForBuild:
                    Creating directory "obj\Debug\".
                Target ResolveProjectReferences:
                    Project "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.csproj" is building "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\My.Blog\My.Blog.vbproj" (GetTargetPath target(s)):

Project "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.csproj" is building "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\My.Blog\My.Blog.vbproj" (GetNativeManifest target(s)):

Target ResolveAssemblyReferences:(Failure)
                    Primary reference "MapiLib".
                        Could not find dependent files. Expected file "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MapiLib.dll"(D:\builds\CCT\Reachout is BuildDirectory and ReachoutBuild is team build type) does not exist.
                        Could not find dependent files. The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
                        Resolved file path is "D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MapiLib.dll".
                        Reference found at search path location "".
                Target CoreResGen:
                    Processing resource file "BlogProperties.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.BlogProperties.resources".
                    Processing resource file "CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavorites.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.CommunityFavorites.CommunityFavorites.resources
    ".
                    Processing resource file "CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavoritesParent.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.CommunityFavorites.CommunityFavoritesParent.resources".
                    Processing resource file "GettingStarted\GettingStarted.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.GettingStarted.GettingStarted.resources".
                    Processing resource file "GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage1.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage1.resources".
                    Processing resource file "GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage2.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage2.resources".
                    Processing resource file "GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage3.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage3.resources".
                    Processing resource file "GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage4.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage4.resources".
                    Processing resource file "IconResource.resX" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.IconResource.resources".
                    Processing resource file "ImportExport.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.ImportExport.resources".
                    Processing resource file "ManageBlogs.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.ManageBlogs.resources".
                    Processing resource file "NewsAccountDetails.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.NewsAccountDetails.resources".
                    Processing resource file "NotifyWindow.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.NotifyWindow.resources".
                    Processing resource file "OPMLList.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.OPMLList.resources".
                    Processing resource file "PassportAuthentication.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.PassportAuthentication.resources".
                    Processing resource file "Properties\Resources.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.Properties.Resources.resources".
                    Processing resource file "SelectForums.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.SelectForums.resources".
                    Processing resource file "SelectNewsGroup.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.SelectNewsGroup.resources".
                    Processing resource file "StatusWindow.resx" into "obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.StatusWindow.resources".
                Target CoreCompile:
                    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Csc.exe /noconfig /unsafe- /checked- /nowarn:1701,1702 /nostdlib- /warn:4 /baseaddress:285212672 /define:DEBUG;TRACE /reference:..\AxSHDocVw.dll /reference:..\extensibility.dll /reference:..\Interop.MAPI.dll /reference:"D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MapiLib.dll" /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\Microsoft.mshtml.dll" /reference:..\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll /reference:..\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll /reference:"D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MyBlogs.dll" /reference:..\OFFICE.DLL /reference:external\SgmlReaderDll.dll /reference:..\SHDocVw.dll /reference:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies\stdole.dll" /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.configuration.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Configuration.Install.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Drawing.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.EnterpriseServices.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Management.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Security.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.Services.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Windows.Forms.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /debug+ /filealign:4096 /optimize- /out:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.dll /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.BlogProperties.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.CommunityFavorites.CommunityFavorites.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.CommunityFavorites.CommunityFavoritesParent.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.GettingStarted.GettingStarted.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage1.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage2.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage3.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.controls.GettingStartedPage4.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.IconResource.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.ImportExport.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.ManageBlogs.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.NewsAccountDetails.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.NotifyWindow.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.OPMLList.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.PassportAuthentication.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.Properties.Resources.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.SelectForums.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.SelectNewsGroup.resources /resource:obj\Debug\CommunityAddin.StatusWindow.resources /target:library /warnaserror- AssemblyInfo.cs AxHost2.cs BlogFeedManager.cs BlogItButtonHandler.cs BlogProperties.cs BlogProperties.Designer.cs BugReport.cs ColumnSorter.cs CommentAPI.cs CommentItButtonHandler.cs CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavorites.cs CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavorites.Designer.cs CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavoritesParent.cs CommunityFavorites\CommunityFavoritesParent.Designer.cs Connect.cs Constants.cs DateUtil.cs ForumFeed.cs ForumFeedEntry.cs ForumFeedManager.cs ForumGroupsData.cs forumSite.cs ForumUser.cs GettingStarted\GettingStarted.cs GettingStarted\GettingStarted.Designer.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage1.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage1.Designer.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage2.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage2.Designer.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage3.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage3.Designer.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage4.cs GettingStarted\GettingStartedPage4.Designer.cs ExplorerCommandBar.cs ExtendedMAPI.cs feeds.cs FolderUtilities.cs IFeedManager.cs ImportExport.cs ImportExport.Designer.cs ManageForums.cs MemoryUtilities.cs NewForumPostButtonHandler.cs NewNewPostButtonHandler.cs EventListener.cs NewsAccount.cs NewsAccountDetails.cs NewsAccountDetails.Designer.cs NewsEntry.cs NewsFeed.cs ManageBlogs.cs ManageBlogs.Designer.cs NewsFeedManager.cs Nntp.cs NntpException.cs NntpGroup.cs NntpPost.cs NotifyWindow.cs OPMLList.cs OPMLList.Designer.cs PassportAuthentication.cs PassportAuthentication.designer.cs PostReplyButtonHandler.cs PostUtilities.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs Properties\Settings2.Designer.cs ReachOutInstaller.cs ReachOutInstaller.Designer.cs ReplyToNewsPostButtonHandler.cs RssFeedItem.cs SelectForums.cs SelectForums.designer.cs SelectNewsGroup.cs SelectNewsGroup.Designer.cs Settings.cs SettingsManager.cs StatusWindow.cs StatusWindow.Designer.cs StatusWindowManager.cs Updater.cs "Web References\FavoritesService\Reference.cs" "Web References\ForumService\Reference.cs" "Web References\ReachOutUpdate\Reference.cs"
                    CSC : error CS0006: Metadata file 'D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Binaries\Debug\MapiLib.dll' could not be found
                Done building target "CoreCompile" in project "CommunityAddin.csproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "CommunityAddin.csproj" -- FAILED.
            Target ReachOutSetup:
                D:\Builds\CCT ReachOut\ReachoutBuild\Sources\CommunityAddin\Main\Dev\CommunityAddin\CommunityAddin.sln : warning MSB4078: The project file "CommunityAddinSetup\CommunityAddinSetup.vdproj" is not supported by MSBuild and cannot be built.
            Done building target "ReachOutSetup" in project "CommunityAddin.sln".
            Target ReachOut:
                The project "ReachOut" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Debug|Any CPU".
        Done building target "Build" in project "CommunityAddin.sln" -- FAILED.

Done building project "CommunityAddin.sln" -- FAILED.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:36 AM
  •  

Jemmy,

Can you try out this workaround and see if it works?

1) checkout the tfsbuild.proj

2) add the following lines towards the end of tfsbuild.proj (i.e just above </Project> tag). I am assuming that you have not already defined "BeforeGet" target in tfsbuild.proj. If you have "BeforeGet" already defined then add the mentioned content directly to your target.

3) checkin the file and launch the build.  

<Target Name="BeforeGet">

<CreateItem Include="$(BinariesRoot)\**\*.*" >
                      <Output ItemName=" AllFilesRecursively " TaskParameter="Include" />
                </CreateItem>

<CreateItem Include="@( AllFilesRecursively ->'%(RootDir)%(Directory)')">
                      <Output ItemName="AdditionalReferencePath" TaskParameter="Include" />
                </CreateItem>

<Message Text="@(AdditionalReferencePath)" />

</Target>

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:12 AM
  •  

I am sorry jemmy. The above mentioned workaround will not work.

The proper way to fix the issue is to create the buildtype and select the "mixed platforms" and then build.  Please ignore the previous post

<PlatformToBuild>Mixed Platforms</PlatformToBuild>

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:57 PM
  • Hi Manish ,

I am using tfsBuild (Teambuild wizard) when i build the solution through vs.NET  Build Succeeded. When i start tfsbuild  I am getting the error CS0006:metadata file : folder name/Microsoft.practices.EnterpiseLibrary/common.dll. I checked the dll should not copied to bin folder . the References are proper with directory name . Also I checked with by making the referenced dll copy Local to false.

Also tried the <PlatformToBuild> Mixed Platforms</PlatformToBuild>

placed above the <Project> tag.

please help me.

regards

krish

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Hi ,

In TFSBUILD I am getting the above error . I installed the ENterpriseLibrary on BuildMachine to avoid the MetaData File error but 

I am getting the same error.MetaData File CS0006 .

Can anyone Help me?

Thanks & Reg

krish

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:04 AM