Lan Service won't start RRS feed

• Question

• We have VSS2005 installed on a Windows 2003 machine. A while back we turned on the Lan Service and thought that it might be the cause of some GPF's in .NET2.0 (only because its a new option), so we turned it off. We have since discovered the GPF's were a completely different issue and wanted to turn the service back on, but now when I try to turn on the service I get the following error:

"There was an error installing or starting the LAN service on this machine. The error returned by Windows is: (null)"

Anyone have an idea of what causes this? I get no events in the event log about this failure and no other indication of why it's failing. As far as I know, nothing has changed about the box. I tried reinstalling SourceSafe on that box, in hopes something was corrupted but that did not help.

Kirk Quinbar
    Zywave, Inc.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Kirk,

I've only seen the "application.exe is not a valid Win32 application" message in these situations:

- corrupted NTFS drive (chkdsk /f fixed the corruption, and application worked after reinstall)

- processor was overclocked to a higher frequency, so the memory was running at a frequency much more than supported, and I was seeing all sorts of messages without sense, like "file not found" when I was seeing the file in WindowsExplorer, etc (things started working when I reduced the processor speed)

- the file to execute was downloaded from net and the network driver at that time (IPv6 driver on Win2003) was silently corrupting the file during every download or copy in LAN (I had to uninstall the bad driver to bring things back to normal)

I see other things caused by drivers (here for instance VS fails to install because of an "amd64 cpu"(?) driver http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=214020&SiteID=1).

I would also suspect applications that monitors disk access in real-time (like an antivirus), so if you're running some of these I would turn them off and see if it helps.

I have no idea what's causing it for you, but if the registrations keys are correct, I can only assume there is some hardware problem or some driver is causing this, especially if the filename is shown as 3 stars instead of a real executable name.

Alin

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:26 AM

All replies

• Try the following (in VSS install folder):

net stop ssservice

ssservice.exe /remove

ssservice.exe /install

net start ssservice

and see where it's failing and if any additional error messages are displayed.

Alin

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:31 PM
  • everything works except the last statement and then i get:

System error 193 has occurred.

*** is not a valid Win32 application.

Ideas?

Kirk

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:50 PM
  • Error 193 is ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT

For some reason, something goes wrong during service registration and probably garbage is written in registry. I don't see anything obvious bad thing we do in the code. You should open a bug at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback about this, detailing the OS type and current codepage, where you have VSS installed, which version beta/rtm are you using, etc.

Anyway, to fix this, look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSService for ImagePath. It should point to ssservice.exe, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual SourceSafe\SSService.exe"

Also, ssservice depends on RPC service, so make sure that one is started (normally is). You can also look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs for the ImagePath which should look like something like "%SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss"

Alin

Friday, May 19, 2006 12:23 AM
  • I looked at both registry keys and the ImagePath has the correct path in it, so it's not corrupted or anything. and as far as I can tell the RPC service is started.

any other ideas or things to look for?

Kirk Quinbar
    Zywave, Inc.

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:19 AM
  • Hi Kirk,

I've only seen the "application.exe is not a valid Win32 application" message in these situations:

- corrupted NTFS drive (chkdsk /f fixed the corruption, and application worked after reinstall)

- processor was overclocked to a higher frequency, so the memory was running at a frequency much more than supported, and I was seeing all sorts of messages without sense, like "file not found" when I was seeing the file in WindowsExplorer, etc (things started working when I reduced the processor speed)

- the file to execute was downloaded from net and the network driver at that time (IPv6 driver on Win2003) was silently corrupting the file during every download or copy in LAN (I had to uninstall the bad driver to bring things back to normal)

I see other things caused by drivers (here for instance VS fails to install because of an "amd64 cpu"(?) driver http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=214020&SiteID=1).

I would also suspect applications that monitors disk access in real-time (like an antivirus), so if you're running some of these I would turn them off and see if it helps.

I have no idea what's causing it for you, but if the registrations keys are correct, I can only assume there is some hardware problem or some driver is causing this, especially if the filename is shown as 3 stars instead of a real executable name.

Alin

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:26 AM