none
How to store emails on local disk

Question

• Hello..

I am going to create my own email client. Just for learning, and maybe because I do not like any of existing one :)

But I have one big problem (or rather have no idea how to do it). When I download emails from server - how to save them on disk? In what format? Is there a special format for it? Or have I to use database? If so - wchich database? Are there any classes or methods in Visual C# to store/save/write emails on local disk?

I would like to store emails in both text and/or html format, whit attachments, divided to folders - incoming, outgoing, trash etc.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:51 PM

Answers

• Although I don't have a better suggestion, there are parts of email messages (.eml) that are not easily retrieved via code w/o a good deal of parsing).

You might want to look at the following library

http://www.lumisoft.ee/lswww/download/downloads/Net/info.txt

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Ajgor64 Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:33 PM

All replies

• The usual format is EML
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Hmm... But EML, AFAIK is format designed to store one email in one file, so I would have to have many (perhaps thousands) of files in folders, and read them on start the program. I would like to store many emails in one file.

Regards Ajgor

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:56 PM
  • Although I don't have a better suggestion, there are parts of email messages (.eml) that are not easily retrieved via code w/o a good deal of parsing).

You might want to look at the following library

http://www.lumisoft.ee/lswww/download/downloads/Net/info.txt

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Ajgor64 Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:33 PM