none
Adding an email workflow to a Circulation Item RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a workflow to send an email to all recipients of a circulation and having trouble with the recipients field look up in the workflow.

The workflow is very simple

Step1

Email <Circulation List>: Receipents

Circulation List as the Data Source, Field is Recipients As String

However the recipient list is not returned as valid Email addresses to the workflow.

Any Suggestions?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• What kind of field is the Recipients field?  Is it a Person/Group field?  Have you tried switching from String to "semicolon delimited email addresses"?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by rrajagopal Friday, June 3, 2011 4:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I am using the default Circulation Recipients field which is "Send To" type. I have mapped this field to the Email workflow "To" field as a Look-up. I even tried creating a custom field on the Circulation List of type "Person or Group" type and mapped it to the Email workflow "To" field and still emails were not being sent to the recipients.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I am using the default Circulation Recipients field which is "Send To" type. I have mapped this field to the Email workflow "To" field as a Look-up. I even tried creating a custom field on the Circulation List of type "Person or Group" type and mapped it to the Email workflow "To" field and still emails were not being sent to the recipients.

"Send To" type?  That is not a column data type in SharePoint.  I also don't know what a default Circulation is?  I've never heard of that - what is it you're referring to exactly?

Sending emails to Person/Group fields definitely works as long as you have your User Profile Service properly configured and have done a profile sync to populate all user profile data.  This is how email addresses are referenced for a user - through the profile database.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:26 PM
  • I created a Work Group Site and added a Circulation List. The circulation List by "default" has the following columns:

Column (click to edit)   Type                                   Used in 

Allow Editing               Yes/No                       Circulation 
    Body                         Multiple lines of text     Official Notice, Circulation 
    Comments                 Multiple lines of text    Circulation 
    Confidential               Yes/No                       Official Notice, Circulation 
    Confirmations            Confirmation               Official Notice, Circulation 
    Due Date                   Date and Time            Official Notice, Circulation 
    Recipients                       Send To                             Official Notice, Circulation 
    Title                          Single line of text        Official Notice, Circulation 
    Created By                 Person or Group  
    Modified By                Person or Group 

I want to be able to send an email to the Recipients of the Circulation when a Circulation/Official Notice has been created.

The Email Workflow I created looks up the Recipients column from the Circulation List to send emails which does not work properly. I am able to send emails through the workflow by using other person look-ups like "People/Groups from SharePoint Site" and "User who created current Work Item"

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Maybe that's some special custom list and column type.  I have never heard of nor seen a "Send To" field type, but I've also never heard of a Circulation list.  It must be a new, built-in feature of the new Work Group Site, which I have not used yet.

If it doesn't work, then I don't know what to say.  You could delete that field and create your own Recipients Person/Group field, right?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:12 PM
  • I was able to figure it out. I was not applying the correct filter on the Current Item on my look-up in the workflow. Now I am able to send emails to the Circulation Recipients.

Thank You!

• Marked as answer by rrajagopal Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rrajagopal Friday, June 3, 2011 4:42 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I was able to figure it out. I was not applying the correct filter on the Current Item on my look-up in the workflow. Now I am able to send emails to the Circulation Recipients.

Thank You!

There never should have been a filter to begin with, so please explain what you did so that we all know.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:54 PM
  • The following look-up was the one that finally worked for the Email workflow To: field

Lookup for Person or Group

Datasource: Current Item (Which is a Circulation item as the Workflow was only created for Content Type: Circulation)

Field from source: Recipients

Return field as: Display Names, Semicolon delimited (I was using the As String return field type)

• Proposed as answer by joshbooker Monday, October 15, 2012 3:21 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Isn't that what I said to do in my very first reply?
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:43 PM
  • You had asked me to try switching from String to "semicolon delimited email addresses". I did not see that option at first because I was looking up the List instead of the Current Item in the List.

I suppose I need to spend some more time trying out the different workflow look-up options.

Thank you much for your help!

Friday, June 3, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Ok, but that's exactly what I told you to do, and you later did it and gave yourself the answer.  That's not cool at all.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I have marked your response as the answer, thanks again for your help!
    Friday, June 3, 2011 4:47 PM
  • The following look-up was the one that finally worked for the Email workflow To: field

Lookup for Person or Group

Datasource: Current Item (Which is a Circulation item as the Workflow was only created for Content Type: Circulation)

Field from source: Recipients

Return field as: Display Names, Semicolon delimited (I was using the As String return field type)

Clayton's response is actually not the answer and his whining about which is marked answer, especially after twice saying he has no knowledge about the problem is "not cool at all"

For those that run across this problem, the OP solved his own problem by the solution quoted above.  Here is some more detail about the issue:

'Circulations' is an out of box list in SP2010 which is added with the Group Work Lists Feature

'Recipients' is a special 'Send To' field type in the Circulations list definition 

'Send To' is the field type listed for Recipients field and it behaves as a single line of text field in workflow lookups of a List Workflow (as oposed to Reusable Workflow).

Said another way, when using the 'Send To' field type in a List Workflow: Current Item Lookup, 'string' is the only option to return.  There is no option to return display names or email addresses like there would be if the field was a normal people picker.  Therefore the answer is not to simply change to "semicolon delimited email addresses" (as suggested by Clayton)

As the OP describes in his solution, the answer is to use a Reusable Workflow on the Content Type 'Circulations' and then to Return the Recipients Field as: Display Names delimited by Semi.

To Summarize:

1) Ignore Claytons whining

2)  Create a Reusable Workflow on 'Circulations' Content Type

3) Setup Send Email Workflow Action as described by OP in Quote above

Have a great day!

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Ok, but that's exactly what I told you to do, and you later did it and gave yourself the answer.  That's not cool at all.

Boo hoo hoo, Actually Clayton you're wrong.  The solution was to choose Display Names delim by semi which wasn't what you 'told him to do'

Have a nice day.

Monday, October 15, 2012 3:25 PM