1 TB data missing, from D drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Please help me, we are using SharePoint 2013 with MSSQL 2012, and my data drive is D with capacity of 4TB, and log drive is E. 

I have run the following below command and check all the database size is 3 TB, but when i check the computer properties the available size of D drive is 3.8TB, where is my 0.8TB of space gone. is there any way to get additional free space. 

SELECT CONVERT(DECIMAL(10,2),(SUM(size * 8.00) / 1024.00 / 1024.00)) As UsedSpace
    FROM master.sys.master_files

Monday, August 1, 2016 3:22 AM

Answers

• Hi There,

your query gives the total of the datafile and ldf files used for all databases on the server. It does not mean that this total size is equal to your available disk space or disk space space used.

please see the below to know more about what exactly the size field is returning from the above query.

And also note:

for any file there are two things size and size on disk. there is always a variation between these two.

here is the best example:

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:37 AM

All replies

• any shrinking or deletion operation happen ?

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Monday, August 1, 2016 3:35 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi, 

Yes, I have shrink all the databases

Monday, August 1, 2016 3:52 AM
  • Hi There,

your query gives the total of the datafile and ldf files used for all databases on the server. It does not mean that this total size is equal to your available disk space or disk space space used.

please see the below to know more about what exactly the size field is returning from the above query.

And also note:

for any file there are two things size and size on disk. there is always a variation between these two.

here is the best example:

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 6:37 AM