none
Automation - Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have automated our stores issue procedure. All works fine, but there is a "nice to have" that I want to do.

Currently, after the user captures the issue requisition, the application (Access 2007) sends an e-mail to the authoriser (using the "SendObject") to approve the requisition. The authorisers has to log into the Access database and approve the requisition, which then sends an e-mail to the user informing him/her that the requisition has been approved.

What I would like to accomplish, is for the authoriser to approve the requisition from the e-mail he receives. Maybe a button on the e-mail body that says "Approve". The authoriser then clicks on this button and the requisition will be approved in the database.

Is this possible? If so, can somebody give me some guidelines on how to achieve this?

Much appreciated.

Deon

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:07 AM

Answers

• No, it has not been resolved, but it looks like I will not be able to do this.

You may create an VSTO add-in for Outlook and customize the Outlook button. When mails arrival to ask for permission, you could click the button to send a mail to approve or reject and update the database. The issue would become Access automation or database connection from Outlook. You could visit Outlook Solutions to see how to create an VSTO add-in for Outlook.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Deon,

You mentioned something about the authoriser having to log into the database. If you were able to code the approval of the request through the email, do you expect them to still log into the database or just bypass the login process?

Just curious...

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Deon,

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking about, but I was wondering if you couldn't use or tweak the following approach, see: http://thesmileycoder.com/access-email-with-hyperlink-to-record/

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi there,

It will eliminate the authoriser from logging into the database. The login will be by-passed.

Thanks

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Thanks for the link - I will check it out and see if it will work for me.
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Hello,

Have you resolved the issue?

>>Maybe a button on the e-mail body that says "Approve

It is impossible to click a button in the mail body and then run a macro.

I would suggest you automate Outlook in Access to send the approval email programmatically. If you want to approve the requisition from the e-mail he receives, you may filter to get the certain mailitem and reply it.

The following links could be help:

Automating Outlook from a Visual Basic Application

Items.Restrict Method (Outlook)

Application.AdvancedSearch Method (Outlook)

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

No, it has not been resolved, but it looks like I will not be able to do this.

I will search the internet further to see if I can get something that will do a similar action.

Thanks

Deon

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:52 PM
  • No, it has not been resolved, but it looks like I will not be able to do this.

You may create an VSTO add-in for Outlook and customize the Outlook button. When mails arrival to ask for permission, you could click the button to send a mail to approve or reject and update the database. The issue would become Access automation or database connection from Outlook. You could visit Outlook Solutions to see how to create an VSTO add-in for Outlook.

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:35 AM