none
HCK/USB Topology test/direct access to USB 2.0 Root Hub port RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find a laptop that provides direct access to the USB2.0 Root Hub port. This is the requirement for one of the 6 topologies in the HCK/USB Topology test job. Unless anyone in this forum know such a laptop, if so, please let me know make/model?

I am now considering to get a desktop instead. So:

1/ Does anyone know a prebuilt desktop that has access to both USB2.0 and USB3.0 Root Hub port? what is the make/model?

I know that the Renesas xHCI that I have on my laptop provides direct access to its Root Hub port. The issue is USB2.0 controller does not, at least this is the case on my laptop (i.e. Dell M4600)

2/ If I can't find such a desktop in 1/ above. The next option is to find a USB2.0 xPCI card that does. Any one know of such a card, Make and model

thanks,

Kiet

KAL

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• I thought that I give an update for this. I end up with getting the PCIex card with Renesas uPD720201 chipset on my Dell desktop which already has eHCI Host controller that direct exposure of the Root Hub port. This works fine for me.

KAL

• Marked as answer by Kiet Ly Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:39 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:39 PM

All replies

• I use a desktop with two add-on boards for USB3.0 and USB2.0 for USB Topology Compatibility Test. Recent released PCs almost have USB hubs inside to USB2.0 ports. If you would like to find a prebuilt desktop that has access USB2.0 port, you need to find older PCs. Anyway, you may need to add USB3.0 board to access directly for USB3.0 port on that PC.

I hope Microsoft will change this restriction of the test in near future . Thanks 

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:12 AM
  • During WLK days, I used a Dell Optiplex 960 which has USB2.0 Root hub ports, I added a USB 3.0 card in the PCIe slot (unitek PCI-E-USB300-2HUB(OCT)) when we went to WHCK. This PC is 2009 vintage and so I too am looking for current PC's with Root Hub ports available.

I think the current Optiplex 7010 and 9010, have generic hubs built-in. So I too am in the same boat looking.

Regards,

Stephen.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Can someone from MS please charms in on this topic.

Please provide the make/model for PCI card or PCIe for both USB2.0 and USB3.0 that expose direct access to the root hub ports.

thanks you.

KAL

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:44 PM
  • I suggest use one USB2.0 onboard system (Desktop or Notebook) and add-on USB3.0 PCI-E or PCI or PCI Express card for "USB Topology" test.

Microsoft Recommended controllers include: Renesas Electronics 200, 200A, 201/202 and Fresco Logic 1009, 1100. (USB 3.0 controller)

Thanks, Steve

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I thought that I give an update for this. I end up with getting the PCIex card with Renesas uPD720201 chipset on my Dell desktop which already has eHCI Host controller that direct exposure of the Root Hub port. This works fine for me.

KAL

• Marked as answer by Kiet Ly Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:39 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:39 PM