FLAC metadata/tags being read incorrectly in Windows Media Player on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently converted my lossless music to FLAC now that Windows 10 supports it natively. But when viewing these FLAC files in Windows Media Player, the year of the songs show up as "unknown year" despite having the year correctly labelled. I've noticed that compared to mp3 files, when you go to the details tab in the properties of a FLAC file, there's an extra tag option called "Date released" below the Year tag which when filled in allows the year to be displayed within WMP, although this is quite a tedious solution.

From what it looks like, WMP isn't able to read the Vorbis tag DATE. There's also a problem with the Artists name not showing up in the contributing artist section, probably for the same reason. I'm not sure how well WMP is able to read the vorbis tagging system but the ability to do so seems to be poorly implemented.

On a side note, there doesn't appear to be any standard windows media player FLAC icon for when WMP is the default media player, instead it uses the M4A file.

• Edited by yourma2000 Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:43 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:02 PM

All replies

• Over a month later, same issues still present.

Did you find any kind of viable temporary work around? I tried the wmp tag plus method (disabling native FLAC support in 10), but found it far less than ideal...
    Friday, September 25, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Just out of curiosity, what is it about disabling native FLAC tag support that you don't find ideal?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, September 26, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Will flac tags be fixed in Windows 10?

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:43 PM
  • I am also bothered with this issue. Actually, windows developers created more issues than conveniences with adding half-implemented native flac support.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:03 PM
  • I have the same issue.  It's not terrible, but certainly needs a fix.  I've left the native support to avoid running another add-on.  Does anyone know any more info on a resolution?  I hope that it won't require a library rebuild if/when it's fixed...
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:47 PM
  • I Have the same issue on October 2018 on windows10(vers.1809) windows explorer & WMP  and it isnt fix yet.............

but the difference is that your post is from December 2015 , mine from 2018

There're so many posts with the same issue in Win10 forums on the net but Microsoft don't react!!!!!! 

I'm so disappointed from Microsoft!!!!! 

Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:14 PM
  • I strongly recommend that you create feedback in the Feedback Hub App and then invite people to vote.

Complaining in a forum is not going to get the attention of the people who can do something about this.

Cheers
    Eddie

Sunday, October 21, 2018 3:26 PM