Beginner Needs Help with a Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello those who are reading, I am a beginner in programmer and currently frequent in C#. I am working on building a cross-platform mobile application and I am confused on what to do. I know what I want my application to do and I am done with making the sketches and connecting them. Now I do not know how to proceed. ANY HELP/ADVICE WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:46 AM

Answers

• Thank you very much for your response.

No problemo and I'm not the authority on such things either. And typically I edit posts as I think about things over time so they become altered from what I originally write as both posts so far have been.

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syntaxity Saturday, December 31, 2016 7:40 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Hello,

A good place to start is to look into Xamarin 

Build apps with native UI using Xamarin in Visual Studio

Or Telerik AppBuilder

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, December 31, 2016 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hello those who are reading, I am a beginner in programmer and currently frequent in C#. I am working on building a cross-platform mobile application and I am confused on what to do. I know what I want my application to do and I am done with making the sketches and connecting them. Now I do not know how to proceed. ANY HELP/ADVICE WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.

Well cross platform seems to me to mean to work under Apples PC OS's and Mobile IOS's, Windows OS's and mobile IOS's and I suppose Androids mobile IOS's as I don't suppose Android has a PC OS per se and then also Unix OS or Linux OS and maybe even more.

As a beginner programmer you should advance your studies dramatically and over time you may understand what you would have to do to attempt to perform these things which would require much time and study since your programming knowledge and skills are limited to basic C# programming probably for Microsoft PC OS using Console App or Windows.Forms or maybe even WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation I believe it is called) which is much different than programming Microsoft UWP (Universal Windows Platform).

You can't just go from A to Z without thorough knowledge of B to Y in some simple step.

Which is why when you go to download an app sometimes the download suggests one version for some Apple OS, another for an Apple IOS, another for a Windows OS, another for a Windows UWP, another for a Linux OS, another for an Android IOS, another for a Windows IOT device and on and on (although some apps installers can detect an OS I suppose an then install the appropriate executable to use with that OS maybe or even maybe the correct installer and executable for all I know). Because the creator of an app, regardless of the language used for the app hires employees to write the app for devices the app will be used on. And that means the creator of the app decides what programmers, languages, OS's etc are necessary for the app to be written for which means various executables being created for the app to run on different OS's and therefore different system requirements for each app, doing the same thing all other variations of the same app can do for different OS's can do. Or something along those lines.

You can't just write one app that somehow works on all systems as not all systems have the same OS you wrote an app to run on.

I suppose a UWP app would run on Win 8.0, Win 8.1, Win 10 but maybe not Win 7 or Win CE's. You really need a lot of knowledge about things which may take months or more to discern. Try starting out by just writing an app for an OS you are familiar with and seeing if it works.

La vida loca

Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:09 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:15 AM

No problemo and I'm not the authority on such things either. And typically I edit posts as I think about things over time so they become altered from what I originally write as both posts so far have been.

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:34 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:22 AM
  • Hello,

A good place to start is to look into Xamarin 

Build apps with native UI using Xamarin in Visual Studio

Or Telerik AppBuilder

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, December 31, 2016 4:29 PM
  • When I attempt to use Xamarin in Visual Studio, it brings up a bunch of errors and warnings. The more I try to fix them, the more complicated errors it brings up.
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 7:45 PM