none
how will i model my tabular model in azure if i'm working for free RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I'm tempted to dive into azure a bit and have been looking at the free stuff.  I want to really hurt myself and dive into aws at the same time.  I've invented a project where something on aws (maybe lamda, who knows) crawls thru all permutations of my tabular data and identifies only those combos that produce measures below a certain threshold.   

My first challenge is "how can i deign my tabular model without familiar products like vs also being available on azure for free?"

My second challenge is "whether my data is in ssas or the engine how can aws "stuff" reach my db in azure for querying purposes?"

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:17 PM

All replies

• Let me answer them one at time 

Q : how can i deign my tabular model without familiar products like vs also being available on azure for free ?

We need to know more about the project you are trying to work and then come up with the suggestions on the Azure offerings .  Most of the Azure offering are free on Azure ( at least the lower tiers ones ) 

Q : whether my data is in ssas or the engine how can aws "stuff" reach my db in azure for querying purposes?"

We understand that this questions should go to the AWS forum , but just to let you that if you need to move from AWS to Azure , ADF can be handy ( off course it depends what are you trying to acheive ) .  

Thanks Himanshu

Friday, May 24, 2019 7:07 PM
  • thx, I want to model a tabular model cube whose main fact table contains stock prices (eg open value,close value,low value ,high value, volume).  And whose core dimension is company with attributes like name, stock symbol etc.  just as important dimensionally is the date because each stock has different facts on different days.  Here is an image of the  data flattened out into excel.  in the model, there would be at least two dimension tables, namely company and date.

• Edited by db042190 Saturday, June 1, 2019 8:34 PM clarity, trying to get an answer to the modeling part
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:35 PM
  • I haven't tried it yet but it looks like vs if free in azure.  i'll post back here eventually.
    Saturday, June 8, 2019 4:12 PM
  • this guy (see link) seems to be writing about this subject but it isn't clear if he's exporting to azure or from azure.  i'm going to look for something written more clearly.  

also it seems vs might be free on azure only if I spin up a vm on azure(same for sql developer edition).  so being in the dark, it isn't clear if a vm is necessary or if running vs locally can reach azure ssas thereby saving me from spinning up an unnecessary azure resource.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4803/how-to-setup-a-tabular-data-model-in-ssas-azure/  

Monday, June 10, 2019 11:50 AM
  • ...and it looks like AS isnt free on azure (for trial period) like my sql db is.  so the original question is moot.  i'm guessing though that VS on my local could probably model and deploy  to an azure tabular model .   with plumbing similar to how I just used ssms to load my azure sql db.  but i'll onl try it if the cost is in my budget.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:08 AM