Windows 8 DP and Windows 7 Dual Boot Completely Hangs

General discussion

• To preview Windows 8, I installed it onto a separate partition from my current Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

After running Windows 8 for a while, the system completely stopped responding on the desktop (no BSOD, just the entire screen freezes and the mouse and keyboard is unresponsive).  There is also no crash dump.

Now the same thing is happening in Windows 7.

As this is a new symptom after installing Windows 8, I am assuming that the Windows 8 bootloader or some other boot-up configuration is doing this.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

[CPU] - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB [MOBO] - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 F2 [RAM] - 2 x 2GB (4GB) Transcend DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz [GPU] - Galaxy Geforce 9800GTX [SFX1] - Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC889A) [SFX2] - ASUS XONAR D2 (USB2.0) [HDD1] - 500GB Western Digital 7200RPM / Partition 1 - WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit (Clean install) / Partition 2 - Win7 Beta (Build 7000) 64-bit (Clean install) [HDD2] - 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM [LCD] - 17" Samsung Syncmaster 240N [HID1] - Microsoft Habu (2,000 DPI) [HID2] - Logitech LX 710 Laser Mouse (1,100 DPI) [KBD] - Logitech Wireless Desktop LX 710 Keyboard [MIC] - ASUS Array Microphone
    • Edited by HenrySun Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:04 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies

• I have done the same thing.  I have been operating within Win8 since my install several hours ago.  I have not had any issues.  The Windows 8 boot loader is the same as Windows 7, just has a graphical interface now.  They both operate on the BCD.  So I don't think that it would be just the change from a text based loader to a graphical one.
    Regards,
    Alex T.
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP 2007-2011~
    Is this response helpful? If so, please consider clicking the green Vote As Helpful button for the benefit of future visitors with the same question.
    If this post provided a solution please mark it as the answer to help others. Thank You.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Alex.

Are you also dual booting Win8 x64 and Win7 x64?

[CPU] - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB [MOBO] - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 F2 [RAM] - 2 x 2GB (4GB) Transcend DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz [GPU] - Galaxy Geforce 9800GTX [SFX1] - Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC889A) [SFX2] - ASUS XONAR D2 (USB2.0) [HDD1] - 500GB Western Digital 7200RPM / Partition 1 - WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit (Clean install) / Partition 2 - Win7 Beta (Build 7000) 64-bit (Clean install) [HDD2] - 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM [LCD] - 17" Samsung Syncmaster 240N [HID1] - Microsoft Habu (2,000 DPI) [HID2] - Logitech LX 710 Laser Mouse (1,100 DPI) [KBD] - Logitech Wireless Desktop LX 710 Keyboard [MIC] - ASUS Array Microphone
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:11 AM
  • I am running 4 os's from the boot menu no problems. 3 of them boot from vhd file. i noticed that I no longer see the boot loader. It loads win8 then shows the graphical loader. If I select another is it reboots the machine then boots from the other is

Ahmed is an independent consultant in Ottawa, Canada specialized in .NET, Biztalk, WCF, WPF, TFS and other Microsoft technologies.

Blog: http://lajak.wordpress.com

Twitter: ahmedalasaad

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Im running a Quad boot with zero issues. XP first install, Win8 second, Win7 third and finally PCLinux OS forth. Separate partitions for all. Works great
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:09 AM
  • I have similar problem - looks like Win8 DP did something with files structure on my disk. First, I had problems with partition on the one physical disk with Win8. Win7 and Win8 were showing error that there is something wrong with recycle bin, then I noticed that two folders disappeared and the some those which were still there were broken. I run chkdsk, but error didn't disappear. I had to format this partition to fix the problem. Then partitions on my second physical disk broke and Win7 showed BSOD in the middle of booting process. Chkdsk showed a lot of some security and permissions errors on Win7 partition. When chkdsk done its job, Win7 didn't show BSOD, but still it refused to fully load (after bootscreen I got black screen with movable cursor, logon screen didn't show up, ctrl+alt+del did nothing).

So I made new Win7 installation over Win8 to at least recover files from partition with old Win7. At first I couldn't access it (I got access denied error and there was no info how much space is free in Computer window). When I took ownership of the disk I could finally access files, but prior to entering every folder I had to change permissions (this time without taking ownership, it was simple dialog window saying, that I need to have admin rights to access this folder). But after this, old Win7 still doesn't start. Now I'm trying my luck with icacls command, but I guess I will have to do clean installation.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:35 PM
  • same problem here... 
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:02 PM