none
List of codepages used by MS Office RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out all of the codepages which are supported by the Microsoft Office for input of special characters via Alt + Numpad codepoints. Despite significant research and manual testing with the software, I have yet to determine all of the relevant codepages which are resulting in the symbols I would like to use and document the Alt codes for.

I have determined that in some cases Word and Excel, for instance, will reference differing codepages and output different symbols for the same Alt codepoint. For example, Alt + 945 yields α (alpha) in Word, but  ▒ in Excel. However, the codepoint Alt + 224 will yield alpha in all of the Excel suite. I believe that this Alt + 224 is the OEM codepage, but I can not find it referenced on any codepage list. I have scoured the Latin IBM OEM codepages as well to no avail.

Could anyone please name the 3 codepages which are resulting in these outputs? Also, does anyone know why the Microsoft Office suite would reference different codepages in across software packages?

Thank you! I really appreciate any help I can get!

Mike

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:05 AM

Answers

• >>> For example, Alt + 945 yields α (alpha) in Word, but  ▒ in Excel. However, the codepoint Alt + 224 will yield alpha in all of the Excel suite.

According to your description, I have reproduced this issue. Based on my testing, codepoint Alt + 224 will yield alpha in Word 2016.

>>>Could anyone please name the 3 codepages which are resulting in these outputs? Also, does anyone know why the Microsoft Office suite would reference different codepages in across software packages?

Unfortunately, I am not able to find any reference about codepages with Office.

In addition you could refer to Insert ASCII or Unicode Latin-based symbols and characters

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Friday, September 2, 2016 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, September 5, 2016 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:04 AM