Rdl File Generation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

Can Any one suggest me a good reference apart from msdn to generate rdl files? Our company wants to generate rdl dynamically because they want to give report preparation to a user who is not from technical back ground. So the user prepares what type of search condition he needs and what type of display fields he needs. we have to form dynamic query based on the inputs the user gives and prepare the rdl file. Here we have to connect to SSAS and form MDX queries automatically. Can any one please suggest me some good reference so generate rdl file with SSAS? Please it is really eating up my time  or is there any other way to dynamically generate MDX queries?

mithra

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:58 AM

Answers

• If you don't want to generate dynamically RDL reports, then may utilizing MS Excel is an option for you; it has already the ability to show dynamically the result of MDX query, + create charts + additional slicer/dicer to filter the data.

With "Visual Studio Tools for Office" (VSTO) you can create a MS Excel AddIn to give your users a front end.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

RDL are XML files and for this XSD files are available. You can use XSD.exe to generate .NET classes for report definition.

See also:
    Tutorial: Generating RDL Using the .NET Framework
    Updating Reports Using Classes Generated from the RDL Schema (SSRS Tutorial)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, March 7, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Hi Olaf Helper,

Thanks for the help. I have already tried RDL generator. My Question was in the command text part i have to generate a dynamic query based on user selected report configurations. is there any option to generate reports apart from rdl to generate reports? My rdl file preparation will become very complex due to user based configuration options. By configurations i mean what are search conditions, Chart types (like user decides what charts he want like table, pie. trends etc.....) So all these options come from 3rd party website and its stored in data base. We store all the user selected data in data base and with those data sets i have to form RDL file. So i feel its not a good idea to prepare RDL file with so many prerequisites and i wanted to know if  there are any other alternatives to achieve the above.

mithra

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:36 AM
  • If you don't want to generate dynamically RDL reports, then may utilizing MS Excel is an option for you; it has already the ability to show dynamically the result of MDX query, + create charts + additional slicer/dicer to filter the data.

With "Visual Studio Tools for Office" (VSTO) you can create a MS Excel AddIn to give your users a front end.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Thanks will try that out 

mithra

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:43 AM