none
WCF: lost n confused RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

i can do some excel and vba, but this is way beyond me.

at this new office, my boss has a previously Excel file that functions to upload data onto a website.

It is a simple button, but I believe this is done via vsto.

I believe the previous guy built an Excel extension that allows him to upload the data by a click of a button in Excel.

I also believe this is referred to as WCF(Windows Communication Foundation).

This excel file has several accompanying files with extensions .xml .dll .dllmanifest and a .vsto file

I manged to find out that "endpoint address" is https://pipelinepricing.com/Services/DataUpload.svc

As you can probably tell by now, I am not familiar to vsto, wcf, or whatsoever beforehand.

I would really appreciate a brief crash-course on this in layman term.

This button is also supposed to retrieve data from a DDE(dynamic data exchange) client.

While the upload function appears to be working, the problem really is that the button fails to grab the required data from the DDE client (Qlink for eSignal). Can someone please enlighten me as to where and how am I able to drill down the code to what is causing the problem, i.e. which code snippet to look out for, which file extensions, etc.

I will appreciate any help i can get greatly. Been spending days trying to read up on .NET, VSTO, WCF and still as clueless as ever.

• Edited by lmtan Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Imtan

Are you sure he was working with VS 2008 and not another version of Visual Studio?

He could have saved it somewhere else, the file path I mentioned is just the default.

If there's really nothing left - everything deleted and no back-ups - the project could, perhaps, be "backwards engineered" from the dlls, provided the distributed project wasn't encrypted. But you'd need a professional programmer for that.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Imtan

<<Can someone please enlighten me as to where and how am I able to drill down the code to what is causing the problem>>

In order for you to be able to do anything, you first need the source code.

Unlike VBA, the source code won't be part of the excel file, but something quite separate. It will be a set of folders with multiple files, the starting point file being a *.sln file.

By default, Visual Studio will store these files under the user profile's "My Documents" in a folder named "Visual Studio [version number]". Visual Studio 2008, for example. In a sub-folder there would be a folder with the project name, which you can probably get from the *.vsto file, or perhaps the manifest.

Once you locate that, you'd need to have this set of folders on a machine where Visual Studio Professional (or Ultimate) is installed. Then you double-click the *.sln file to load the project (or use File/Open in VS).

If you can get that far, pressing F5 will run the project in Debug mode, meaning it will start Excel, open the Excel file and you can test. In order to "walk" through to locate the trouble-spot, you'll need to locate the code for the button. Usually, double-clicking the button in the VS interface should take you to the code for the "click" event. Click in a line in that code, then press F9 to set a break point. When you're debugging and click the button, execution should stop at the break point. Then you can step through, line-by-line, by pressing F11.

Assuming we can get you that far, for the actual interaction with the DDE client you'll probably have to go elsewhere...

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:41 PM
  • hi cindy,

although i do not have access to my work computer now, it is in my impression that there is nothing saved under the folder in My Documents\Visual Studio 2008. Because i have spent several days looking for any saved documents the previous guy left behind. I will check again tomorrow for any .sln file. However, in event that that is no longer available, what is the next course of action if any?

many thanks,

lmtan

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi Imtan

Are you sure he was working with VS 2008 and not another version of Visual Studio?

He could have saved it somewhere else, the file path I mentioned is just the default.

If there's really nothing left - everything deleted and no back-ups - the project could, perhaps, be "backwards engineered" from the dlls, provided the distributed project wasn't encrypted. But you'd need a professional programmer for that.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:24 PM