Exception "Incorrect funtion" when using front camera

Question

• I have an app where I use a camera. The back camera works just fine, but the front camera causes an exception:

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()

at Speurtochie.MainPage.<ShowViewFinder>d__88.MoveNext()}

Data: {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal}

HelpLink: null

HResult: -2147024895

InnerException: null

Message: "Incorrect function.\r\n\r\nIncorrect function.\r\n"

Source: ""

StackTrace: "   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)\r\n   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()\r\n   at Speurtochie.MainPage.<ShowViewFinder>d__88.MoveNext()"

This exception occurs in this code:

await takePhotoManager.InitializeAsync(new MediaCaptureInitializationSettings
    	{
    		StreamingCaptureMode = StreamingCaptureMode.Video,
    		PhotoCaptureSource = PhotoCaptureSource.Photo,
    		AudioDeviceId = string.Empty,
    		VideoDeviceId = Back ? BackCameraID : FrontCameraID
    	});

Every time a try to use the front camera, I get the id earlier (see the code below), the app crashes when InitializeAsync is called.

private async Task<bool> GetCameras()
    {
    	DeviceInformationCollection dic = await DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync();
    	foreach (DeviceInformation di in dic)
    	{
    		if (di.EnclosureLocation != null && di.EnclosureLocation.Panel == Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Panel.Front)
    		{
    			FrontCameraID = di.Id;
    			bttnSwitchCamera.Visibility = Visibility.Visible;
    		}
    		if (di.EnclosureLocation != null && di.EnclosureLocation.Panel == Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Panel.Back)
    		{
    			BackCameraID = di.Id;
    		}
    		if (FrontCameraID != "" && BackCameraID != "")
    		{
    			break;
    		}
    	}
    	return true;
    }

I checked, I really get the Front camera Id and the back camera Id with the code above.

I have a Lumia 930 to test with, and the front camera works just fine.

Friday, April 17, 2015 8:51 PM

Answers

• I figured it out. I forgot to add DeviceClass.VideoCapture in DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync()

So the first "front" device it returned was the front microphone and not the front camera.

I overlooked  one simple line of code and as a result I was debugging for hours to find out what was wrong and even started a topic here. A developers life isn't easy ;)

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This is likely due to the fact that either PhotoCaptureSource.Photo is not supported for the front camera.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:46 AM
  • Even if I try PhotoCaptureSource.Auto or PhotoCaptureSource.VidoePreview or leave that line out, the front camera doesn't work.

Every single example on the internet I found for the Front camera uses the code I use, but somehow it won't function.

Any other app which uses the front camera functions properly, so I do something wrong. But what?

Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:48 AM
  • Hello,

That is really strange. Does the MSDN sample work for you?

Media capture using capture device sample

-James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:09 PM
  • I figured it out. I forgot to add DeviceClass.VideoCapture in DeviceInformation.FindAllAsync()

So the first "front" device it returned was the front microphone and not the front camera.

I overlooked  one simple line of code and as a result I was debugging for hours to find out what was wrong and even started a topic here. A developers life isn't easy ;)

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:42 AM