none
Problem with DataView and PropertyChanged event RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello.

I just run into a problem using the PropertyChanged event of the DataRowView. It took me a few hours to track it down because it occured in a fairly complex piece of code so at first I believed it was my fault. I think I've found the explanation and want to tell you what I've found out in case you have a similar problem.

The PropertyChanged event should fire if a value of a column of the underlying DataRow changes, but it's working only for the first DataRowView referencing the DataRow. Below is an example for that behaviour - the second event handler Row2_PropertyChanged is never called!

Using the .NET Reflector I discovered that the OnListChanged method of the DataView class calls the internal ResetLastChangedColumn method - that's why only one PropertyChanged event is raised. I think that's a bug in the DataView class ...

Greetings from Munich,

Jens

---------- snip ----------

Module Module1

Dim Table As DataTable

Dim View As DataView

Dim WithEvents Row As DataRowView

Dim View2 As DataView

Dim WithEvents Row2 As DataRowView

Sub Main()

Table = New DataTable

Table.Columns.Add("ID", GetType(Integer))

Table.Columns.Add("Name", GetType(String))

Table.Rows.Add(1, "VS 2005")

View = New DataView(Table, "ID=1", "", DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)

Row = View(0)

Table.Rows(0)("Name") = "Visual Studio"

View2 = New DataView(Table, "ID=1", "", DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)

Row2 = View2(0)

Table.Rows(0)("Name") = "Visual Studio 2005"

View.Dispose()

Table.Dispose()

End Sub

Private Sub Row_PropertyChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.PropertyChangedEventArgs) Handles Row.PropertyChanged

Debug.WriteLine("Row: " & e.PropertyName)

End Sub

Private Sub Row2_PropertyChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.PropertyChangedEventArgs) Handles Row2.PropertyChanged

Debug.WriteLine("Row2: " & e.PropertyName)

End Sub

End Module

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:32 AM