problems adding user controls to toolbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have created a Windows control App and created some user controls in it.  they have been built and added to the toolbox as normal. everything is working as it should.

however i would like these controls to appear in the toolbox, no matter what project, i'm dealing with.

i've added a new tab to the toolbox then "Choose Items" to display the "choose toolbox items" dialog box. when i browsed for the .dll file of my user control to add to the tab, it was not there.

i have 2 questions. 1) is this the right way to this and 2) if it is what am i doing wrong?

any help you be great

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:16 PM

All replies

• If you want your dll to be accessable to all of your projects take a look at installing the dll into the GAC!

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yf1d93sz.aspx

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:31 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I can't find any sign of my .dll file.

The books I have looked in totally ignore the issue of placing the control on the tool box of other programs.  What is the deal!!!

I hope someone will give us a hint.

clueless in Kansas

Monday, November 27, 2006 11:34 PM
  • Did you add the file to the GAC ?  What DLL are you looking for.

Adding controls to a toolbox should make them available to any project you load in the development environment.   The toolbox is a design time environment issue.

Right Click on the toolbox, select Choose Items and then browse or select the control you wish to add to the toobox.   Then this control will be in the toolbox.  Any project you use will have these tools present.

Friday, December 1, 2006 1:34 AM