How do I Make a Totals Row? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in Visual Studio 2008 editing an SSRS report, and need to add a row containing totals at the bottom of the report. I right click on the cell and do Add Total. But the trouble is, I have a row group in the report, and VS adds the new row with the totals at the end of each group. I don't want that, I want a single totals row at the end of the entire report.  How can I get that?

(And while I'm at it - I need to format the totals row - change background colour etc. I can right-click in a cell to format each cell separately - but I can't see a way to format the entire row. Is there a way?)

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you want only a single total row that to at the end of the table, then you need to place this total expressions for each cell in the table footer row.

Hope its clear...

Pavan Kokkula (Technology Analyst) Infosys Technologies Limited.
    • Proposed as answer by Parry2k Friday, April 23, 2010 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by GreatElectron Monday, April 26, 2010 10:28 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hi GreatElectron,

pavanKokkula is correct, just add a row outside of a group and add "Sum" or "Avg"-Expressions where needed.

You can format the cells if you mark the first cell, press shift and mark the last cell. Now you can format a whole row (or area) with cells once at a time. the referred property has to be equal in all cells to be able to change this property for all.

• Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Monday, April 26, 2010 7:00 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you want only a single total row that to at the end of the table, then you need to place this total expressions for each cell in the table footer row.

Hope its clear...

Pavan Kokkula (Technology Analyst) Infosys Technologies Limited.
    • Proposed as answer by Parry2k Friday, April 23, 2010 2:22 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hi GreatElectron,

pavanKokkula is correct, just add a row outside of a group and add "Sum" or "Avg"-Expressions where needed.

You can format the cells if you mark the first cell, press shift and mark the last cell. Now you can format a whole row (or area) with cells once at a time. the referred property has to be equal in all cells to be able to change this property for all.

• Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Monday, April 26, 2010 7:00 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Thanks guys.

Adding a row outside the group almost works. But it looked from more experimenting that I needed to go up two levels of groups to get a grand-total (Or click on a group header row rather than a data row to add outside-the-group).

Selecting all cells to format works if done through the main menu - I realized this morning that the problem there was that I was trying to format using the context menu option within a cell - that doesn't work for multiple cells, but formatting from the main menu is still available.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:28 AM